PDA

View Full Version : How to get Volume for family object

andy1289
2008-01-25, 12:08 AM
If anybody knows how to get Volume for Revit family object?
May be I can do it using Autocad?

Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2008-01-25, 06:58 AM
Hi,

What is the context? Can you elaborate on what the family is and trying to accomplish? There are probably several ways to report such information ranging from automatic to creating parameters to derive such information from other automatic info. A little more from you can increase the chances we can help.

andy1289
2008-01-25, 09:20 AM
Thank you for your response.

I am drawing Generic family. ( Revit Architecture 2008 )
How can I get Volume of solid object which was done by extrusion or sweep?

For example, if I draw pool with funny shape, how can I get Volume of Concrete and Water?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-25, 10:10 AM
If you can create the object as a mass it will report its volume and surface area.

Phil Read
2008-01-25, 12:13 PM
Some families automatically report volume as a parameter (not Generic Model). Try Structural Framing. You might be able to change the category and then change it back.

I know - temporary solution. :(

Regards -

Phil.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-25, 03:48 PM
Phil,
I poked through most of the family categories (not structural framing) and was surprised that in-place families modeled as wall, floor, roof, all the usual suspects that report volume when created as system families, don't report volume. I'm not really sure why that would be. Any insights?

andy1289
2008-01-26, 08:03 AM
Phil
Thanks

As temporary solution 8) it works very well.
It will save a lot of my time.

I am doing like that:

1. Draw whole Generic family.
2. Copy Element or Elements to Structural Framing family.
3. Load Structural Framing family into Project and get Volume.

I just wondering, can I get Volume using only Structural Framing family file or I have to load that family into project?

Thanks