PDA

View Full Version : Pilasters and junction with walls

Andrew Dobson
2008-01-25, 01:48 PM
I have created some pilaster families, and they do not join to walls they way that I wish.

I have attached an image for reference.

At the moment, I get either condition (1), (2) or (4) depending upon how I place my pilaster family. (4) is fine with a pilaster that does not project much, but (1) and (2) seem illogical to me.

What I want, is condition (3) where the outer wall layer wraps with the pilaster, which I have cleaned up using a masking region as a work round for this view.

Is there any easy way to achieve (3) automatically, as adding voids to the wall or family just seem to produce more confusing thick lines at the intersections.

Many Thanks

aaronrumple
2008-01-25, 02:49 PM
Make the air space part of the core of the wall. The pilaster wraps everything outside of the defined core. Not what we want, but the way they made it work. What the factory should have done is make it work with the wrap checkbox in the wall....

Andrew Dobson
2008-01-25, 03:16 PM
Make the air space part of the core of the wall. The pilaster wraps everything outside of the defined core. Not what we want, but the way they made it work. What the factory should have done is make it work with the wrap checkbox in the wall....

Thanks, this helps where I am getting condition (2) but only in plan. In section, the stone still flies behind the pilaster.

Unfortunately it doesnt work at all when I get condition (1) with a deeper pilaster.

Incidentally, I did the recent Revit Customer Council survey on wall joints with high expectations that it would ask about this sort of thing, whereas it was all simple stuff.

aaronrumple
2008-01-25, 03:20 PM
Thanks, but this doesnt seem to make any difference for me, I still get condition (1) instead of condition (3).

Incidentally, I did the recent Revit Customer Council survey on wall joints with high expectations that it would ask about this sort of thing, whereas it was all simple stuff

Can you post a sample file?

Andrew Dobson
2008-01-26, 10:46 PM
Sorry, Aaron, didnt realise you would reply so quickly. I editied my post shortly after you replied as what I wrote first wasnt entirely accurate.

I have attached a Revit file containing the wall and pilaster and showing the problem that is still remaining.

Thanks for your help

aaronrumple
2008-01-28, 06:30 PM
Your column needs to be solid on the back for the automatic wraping to work.

Andrew Dobson
2008-01-29, 12:48 PM
Many Thanks.

This works really well in plan, but unfortunately, not in section, where the column is solid in coarse view, or the stone doesn't wrap in fine view as per the plan.

Andrew Dobson
2008-02-05, 04:48 PM
We have managed to sort out a pilaster that seems to work the way we want it to, but it is a problem on some corners.

I think this problem might stem from the fact that there is no wall corner family template in Revit (nor a curved wall hosted template which would also be useful).

Even so, it doesn’t explain the odd behaviour in the attached project - why does it work on one corner, and not the other?

Any comments appreciated!

sbrown
2008-02-05, 05:47 PM
Did you try changing the corner to a mitered wall join?

Andrew Dobson
2008-02-06, 09:12 AM
Did you try changing the corner to a mitered wall join?

Yes, tried this.

I think that we need a corner wall template to solve this one.

I have tried making a family that is not wall hosted, but then it doesnt cut the outer wall layer the way that I want it to.