PDA

View Full Version : Beam trimming back to the wrong object

jpolding
2008-01-25, 02:53 PM
I have a column family that also contains a nested pier and footing. When I'm in the project and place a beam, the beam trims backs to the nested footing and not the column. This is evident in 3D view.

Anyone know why or how this can be fixed? Thanks in advance.

jpolding
2008-01-31, 02:52 PM
Here was the response from Autodesk...

This is considered as-designed behavior. The cutback is computed based on the bounding box of the column. Since the footing is included as part of the column definition, the bounding box is bigger so you're seeing a greater cutback. The workarounds would be to manually adjust the extensions of the beams, or to exclude the footing from within the family.

darrell.badger
2009-04-29, 08:29 PM
I had the similar problem with a Turbine pedistal I made as a component. I was cantilevering a beam to a grid line adjacent to the pedistal. The steel framing around the pedistal was symetrical. Steel framing on one side of the pedistal worked fine and did not cut back to the "pedistal". However, when placing the other side the beams would automatically adjust back several feet from where I wanted it. It appeared to be cutting back from someting on the pedistal even though I was NOT connecting to the pedistal.
After reading this thread I checked the pedistal wondering what I had extending to that side. The physical limits of the pedistal were not the problem.
However, there were several planes, dimensions and sections I used to generate the pedistal that extended to one side to make it easier on me to locate the critical planes to dimension. Once I cleaned up these non-physical entites to reside within the pedistal extents I placed the beams again and had no problem.

I do not find this to be "As Designed" function to be operating properly, referencing Autodesk's assertion. There is a problem if the beams are cutting back from something I am not even connecting to. This would be the same problem as if I was connecting to a steel column adjacent to a concrete column and the beams cut back to the concrete column. Forcing a marginally controlable extension to make it "look" right is WRONG.