PDA

View Full Version : Reveal and Wall Question (moved from Protecting Families Thread)

fjtdogeno
2008-01-26, 03:36 AM
hi guys, im a new revit user and i got a problem with Wall Reveal, is there any solution how can i set this in a different angles?

thanks
Bejie

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-26, 08:41 AM
Welcome to Revit and the forums.
Reveals and sweeps predefined as part of a wall or placed on a wall can only be horizontal or vertical. If you want an angled reveal you'll have to do it as an in-place family or as a wall hosted/face based family.

fjtdogeno
2008-01-26, 11:04 AM
Thanks Dimitri it helps

dhurtubise
2008-01-26, 12:14 PM
Another method is to place a line on the wall at the desired angle. You can then use the roof fascia tool to place a sweep. Reveal will have to be in place

fjtdogeno
2008-01-26, 01:28 PM
Thanks Daniel it helps too, but if i have 2 line with different directions its only accept 1 direction, anyway thanks.

fjtdogeno
2008-01-26, 02:02 PM
Hi guys i want to share a small knowledge in revit and im not sure if this was done before by some revit users. In my company everytime we submit a set of drawings we also submit a transmittal sheet in a4 size or some they called it drawing register. As`a Cad manager i got a terrible headache in our transmittal sheet which is not match with our drawings. So I decided to do the transmittal in revit instead of excel file. What i did is the auto transmittal and use the drawing list of revit as part of it and the remaining i do it with a paramaters show in attachment 1, and this was link to my title block in attachment 2. Everytime we change the drawing title in tiltle block its also change our drawing transmittal as well as the revisions. See the attachments

dhurtubise
2008-01-26, 02:48 PM
Thanks Daniel it helps too, but if i have 2 line with different directions its only accept 1 direction, anyway thanks.

Do you mean something like that?

fjtdogeno
2008-01-26, 03:14 PM
Like this Daniel, 1 is vertical and the other 1 is 30 degrees

dhurtubise
2008-01-26, 04:05 PM
Right, it wont let you use the Fascia on a vertical line. In your case build a wall based family with your design and apply it

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-26, 04:21 PM
Wall based families are definetely the way to go for this sort of thing.

As i notoriously hate In-Place families, all of the reveals pictured were made as Wall Based Generic Models. It worked out extremely well, as many of the modules simply repeated.

fjtdogeno
2008-01-26, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ray, you have the same comments with Dimitri

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-26, 06:42 PM
Thanks Ray, you have the same comments with Dimitri

Its Aaron, but anytime. :)

Also (not to slight his suggestion, it works well) becareful of using workarounds such as Roof Fascias for Wall Objects, and the like.

Many people on thisforum are EXTREMELY creative, and they come up with devine solutions for many issues. While they work wonderfully most of the time, i always caution people to study the implications before using such workarounds.

I have worked with other Modeling teams that have used Floors as Roofs, railings as any number of elements that need to repeat on a path (including train tracks and monorails), and so on and so forth. I am even guilty of using roofs as ceilings, as our ceiling tools are lackluster and i despise in place families.

While these solutions fit your needs in the moment, always be aware that these types of solutions will sometimes undermine your ability to graphically control things by Object Style. If i make "partition" that has alternating pieces of solid and voids (or wood slats, for instance) and i model it out of a railing for ease of Revit-modeling, that is fine... As long as two things are true: I dont have to schedule either the walls or the railings in the project, and i dont have to turn off the Object Class of either the walls or the railings. If you need to do either, youll need another workaround of a parameter use and a filter, to achieve your goals, and it escalates (in my humble opinion) once youve gone down that road.

Ive found if i look hard enough at the program, there is usually an approriate tool for the task at hand, and that i can get by with very few workarounds of this nature.

Good luck!