PDA

View Full Version : Join geometry - Wall and structural column

anthonylapierre
2008-01-28, 07:03 PM
I would like to join these walls with the column but when I do it the structural column takes the fill color of the wall. It works on the same view with the same wall type and the same type of column (joingeometry003.jpg)

aaronrumple
2008-01-28, 07:06 PM
I think that would be a non-structural column. Strutural columns don't join. The non-structural columns will indeed take on the wall color as they merge materials.

anthonylapierre
2008-01-28, 07:09 PM
It's a structural column

aaronrumple
2008-01-28, 09:42 PM
..then your column family is set to Concrete/Steel/Wood or Precast. In this case, the column isn't doing a join, but rather a cut of the wall with a wrap of the linetype. I'm guesing it has to do with how all the wall joins come together. But it is hard to see that from the images.

anthonylapierre
2008-01-29, 10:43 PM
I found a solution. In Visibility/Graphic overrides change the detail level of structural columns to medium.

trmpublic
2008-08-27, 06:51 PM
I have the same problem as Anthony with a structural column taking the properties of the wall and the column is cut by the wall see attached. Changing the visibility override to medium doesn't change the graphic. I've tried changing the "family category and parameters" to no avail. Help!

Thank you.

wjspence
2008-08-27, 09:11 PM
You can't get there from here. I went on a search for and answer to this awhile back. The solution for us was we have a Revit structural model linked in so the column does not join the wall and take on it's material. The only way I know of is to create the structural columns in a separate model and link it in. Not the most elegant solution but it will get the things to display how you want them and keep them from joining with the walls.