PDA

View Full Version : pergola

tect75
2008-01-29, 08:55 PM
I need to create a pergola structure for a catering facility. The pergola is basically in a half round shape. At this point im not interested in trying to develop a family to do this. What would be the best way to model the 2x8 joists at the top of the structure. I would like to give them the typical end shape for a pergola. I tried using the mass commands but couldnt come up with something i like. Basically i would like to create on then copy to fill out the rest.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-29, 09:29 PM
If you attended AU or are a subscription customer you should be able to download the AB500-1L session file from here

http://au.autodesk.com/sessions/detail/1196/

The session was a lab by Scott Brown and illustrates a pretty neat trick for prelim design using roofs and fascias to accomplish just this thing. I'm not sure if it is allowable to just upload the pdf at this point but will be happy to do so if Scott gives the OK.
There are a number of other possibilities I can think of if this method doesn't work for you.

Carlos GT
2008-01-29, 10:27 PM
Basically you will need to create a wall with 1.5" thickness and 6" or 8" height (this would be your trellis beam). Then, since this is a "wall", go to the "edit profile tool" and change the profile in order to achieve the classical trellis profile. Then you can make multiples copies for the rest.

Good luck.