PDA

View Full Version : drafting fill patterns

pdickman
2008-01-30, 02:41 PM
Is it possible to have a drafting fill pattern rotate? I am trying to create a plywood detail component that looks like our office standard. (The pattern basis we use is "dolmit").

Carlos GT
2008-01-30, 03:12 PM
If you want to use the same pattern that you use in Cad. you could copy this pattern into the pattern file Revit. Check this tip that I found in Revit up:

Adding an AutoCAD Hatch Pattern from a .PAT File

If the hatch / fill pattern you are copying is to be aDrafting type pattern, you can import them directly, through the Settings pulldown menu> Fill Paterns select New and Custom then Import from any AutoCAD .PAT file directly into Revit. They will then be in your project.

To copy an AutoCAD hatch pattern as a model pattern in Revit, you need to copy and paste the AutoCAD hatch pattern code into the Revit.pat file.

Ohen open the Settings> Fill Patterns, select New then select Custom and Import to open the Revit.pat file. Select the fill pattern from the Revit.pat file and change the scale of the AutoCAD hatch pattern accordingly.

Remember with Revit, the .PAT file is named either Revit.PAT (Imperial) or Revit Metric.PAT (Metric) obvious I know, but with AutoCAD the ACAD.PAT is Imperial and the ACADISO.PAT is the Metric one! lots of people still get this one mixed up.

I did it and it works.

Good luck

pdickman
2008-01-30, 03:33 PM
have you had any luck rotating the patterns? Also, I tried making the pattern as a model pattern, but I cannot get the scale to work at 1. The error says the pattern is too dense. It will work at 2. I noticed the scale in the Add Surface Pattern is 1/2" = 1'-0". This is grayed out.Do you know how th change the scale? It seems like that might help with the density.

NKramer
2008-01-30, 04:08 PM
Only model patterns will rotate, align, etc. Sometimes Revit has issues reading pattern files. Generally I have found that anything under a .25 scale comes in solid. If you want a new scale you need to create a new custom pattern, import from cad or where ever, and then you should be able to choose the scale.

Nick

hugh.69031
2008-01-31, 10:23 PM
You can't rotate drafting patterns, but you can rotate and shift model patterns.

Revit imposes limits on hatch pattern scale, presumably to keep drawing elements within reasonable size - neither too small nor too large as described here:

http://www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit/faq6.html

HatchKit can rescale most patterns to import to Revit at 1:1 scale:

Hugh Adamson
www.cadro.com.au (http://www.cadro.com.au)

eric.piotrowicz
2008-12-01, 05:07 PM
Bringing up an old thread since its the closest to the question I have run into.
Has anyone had an issue with a hatch pattern being too small? I got it down to one size (lets say 1/2" for explaination purpose) but now any scale changes i make to the .pat file forces the import scale higher. If I scale the .pat by 1/4 then when I import I get the 'pattern too dense' error until I enter an import scale of 4.
Any suggestions? Also whether I'm creating a new pattern or editing an existing one I can't change the overall scale. Its set as 1/2" = 1'-0" and its greyed out.
Thanks in advance

hugh.69031
2008-12-01, 10:36 PM
You have a pattern that contains a repetition distance 4x smaller than what Revit allows.

Every line in a hatch pattern has two repetition distances.

One measures the distance along the line direction to its next inline repetition and is the sum of the absolute values of its definition from the sixth item onwards eg:.

0, 15.24,11.43, 25.4,25.4, 6.604,-18.796

here that's 6.604+18.796 = 25.4

the other measures the distance to the next parallel instance of that pattern line, being the fifth value in its definition eg:

0, 15.24,11.43, 25.4,25.4, 6.604,-18.796

here that's also (coincidentally) 25.4

Revit limits both distances to a range depending on pattern type.

MODEL patterns allow from 0.5 inch to 848.5 inches.
DRAFTING patterns allow 0.002 inch to 84.85 inches.

Metric repetition distance limits have the same physical lengths.

As far as I know, rescaling only becomes available on importing from an external .PAT file.

Can you post the pattern for examination?

eric.piotrowicz
2008-12-01, 11:11 PM
the minimum distance setting does explain the problem I'm finding. unfortunately it also means I can't fix the problem. oh well atleast now I know that I'd didn't overlook anything. Thanks

hugh.69031
2008-12-01, 11:40 PM
In most cases the pattern can be respecified to comply with minimum distances by replacing each noncompliant line with a set of more widely spaced lines, each contributing a portion of the replaced line.

It's possible the rejigged pattern is still too "busy" in appearance (and slows presentation) , but at least it can be loaded.