PDA

View Full Version : Detail view parameter missing?

michael.12445
2008-01-30, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Revit - had a 3-day training course and am helping out on a project led by more experienced users (but they don't know the answer to this one).

We're adding detail references to all our plan, section, and elevation views. We're doing this by means of the "Section" and "Callout" items on the view menu, which creates the reference tag on the parent view, then we're inserting the detail view thus created onto a dummy detail sheet in order to get the detail/sheet number into the reference tag. (The actual detail drawings are already done/printed in AutoCAD.) So far, so good, but when we finish doing this on an elevation, for example, and then open a plan or section view, many of the detail reference tags show up in unwanted places - evidently because Revit thinks of them as section cut planes existing in 3 dimensions - and we have to turn each one off by individually by picking it and selecting "hide elements" in each view.

This is not practical. We need to be able to add a detail reference to a selected view at will, without having to open up every other view to see if it popped up where we don't want it. I see in the help file there is a description of an instance parameter of detail views that allows you to select "Show in intersecting views" or "Show in parent view only," (sounds like we want the second choice) that is accessed under the Settings menu, Settings > View Tags > Callout Tags... and Section Tags... but when I look, the parameter isn't there. Am I missing something? How can I access this parameter?

BTW the build is Revit Architecture 2008 - 20080101_2345.

Thanks,

Michael Evans

lhanyok
2008-01-30, 05:25 PM
It is in the instance parameters of each view. Right click on one of your detail views in the project browser, and go to its properties. It's under the Graphics Heading.

michael.12445
2008-01-30, 06:06 PM
It is in the instance parameters of each view. Right click on one of your detail views in the project browser, and go to its properties. It's under the Graphics Heading.

Thanks for the quick reply! But, I looked, and the parameter exists only for those details created with the "Callout" item on the View menu. It's missing for those created with the "Section" item, which happens to be the majority of our details. For example, a window shown on an elevation will have head, jamb, and sill details called out, especially where there are architectural features around the opening. The graphic for this needs to be a circle with the detail number and sheet number, connected to a line that terminates in a little fat line cutting through the head, jamb, or sill on the elevation, since the detail view shows either a plan or section view, not just a bigger elevation view. It appears the only way to do this is to use the "Detail View: Detail" option under the "Section" item on the View menu. But then stray section-type detail callouts start showing up on plan views where we don't want them...

Similar situations occur in literally hundreds of places in our drawings.

Is there some setting somewhere else to fix this?

Thanks,

Michael Evans

mrice.47661
2008-01-30, 07:14 PM
I'm hoping there is a good answer to your second question out there - but I'm fearing it may not be coming. I know that was one of our recurring nightmares on a recent project. We too were drawing details in AutoCAD and using the Revit detail sheets as dummy sheets - and inevitably we would add details shortly before printing a set - and without fail the little section tags popped up in many places we did not desire.

Unfortunately - we didn't have a better fix other than warning people about this behavior - and then scanning our prints carefully before printing, hoping that we caught everything. Not the best scnario by any means.

patricks
2008-01-31, 02:29 PM
You should create your "dummy" detail views as drafting views, and place them on your dummy sheets. Then when you place your section, elevation, or callout marks, select "Reference Other View". That should create the mark in that view only, since it is referencing a drafting view, and not an actual part of the model, so it would be impossible for it to show up in other places.

But really I have to say, get your details into Revit. It makes things MUCH easier and will be a lot less headache farther down the road.

michael.12445
2008-01-31, 06:52 PM
Patricks,

Thank you for your explanation - that makes it clear to me. We hadn't tried "Drafting Views" at all, and I think that was a misstep in our project. Next time we'll know better!

Michael Evans