PDA

View Full Version : Plaster parapet cap best practice

ggriffin
2008-01-31, 12:14 AM
Is there really not a way to wrap a wall types finish over the top or bottom of the wall similar to the option for wrapping ends and inserts. The work-around I've come across is to add it as a sweep. This so far is cumbersome and does not clean up nice in section and elevation.
any other tips?
thanks.

patricks
2008-01-31, 01:51 PM
Do you have an example of what you're referring to?

I also use sweeps for parapet caps and cornices, etc. It works fine for small scale building sections, and then larger-scale wall sections they're just drafted over with filled regions or detail components, and then hidden anyway, so it's not a big deal.

As long as it looks good in elevation, then I'm pretty well fine with it.

ggriffin
2008-01-31, 05:16 PM
In this case, attached, it's just a plaster finish on top of the parapet. I drew a simple profile to test the concept. Seemed to work, however, there are two concerns so far:
1. notice in the section attached that the common line disappears. What is causing this?
2. finishes are the same for top and wall finish but in elevation I will end up with alot of little lines that I have go through and hide.

patricks
2008-02-01, 02:09 PM
In this case, attached, it's just a plaster finish on top of the parapet. I drew a simple profile to test the concept. Seemed to work, however, there are two concerns so far:
1. notice in the section attached that the common line disappears. What is causing this?
2. finishes are the same for top and wall finish but in elevation I will end up with alot of little lines that I have go through and hide.

I think something like that is best left to your large-scale details, in which you place detail components or filled regions (preferably the former) for the plastered areas. Your small-scale overall sections wouldn't really show that condition at all.

I tend to model to the point to make my plans and elevations look correct, and then just detail everything else. If I had something like in your case, I would just make the top extent of the wall equal to the top of your plaster finish. That way it will look correct in elevation and won't have any extra lines. Then I would detail out the wall construction with plaster finishes shown wrapping around using detail components in a large-scale detail.

To answer your original question, no it is not possible to make finishes wrap the top or bottom of the wall.

greg.mcdowell
2008-02-01, 04:51 PM
And if you want to show the gyp. board on the top of the wall (say for a rendering) you can use the paint bucket with the appropriate material...