PDA

View Full Version : Revit crashes after trying to open bad file

CBroda
2008-02-01, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone -

I had worked with the Revit 2008 demo on a file I had created in version 6. Since then I have gotten the subscription Revit series and have done the SP3 update for Series.

I have been trying to open the old file (which was saved under the demo version in November). The file will not open, even if I try with the "audit" option. I do however see the preview of it in my folder (I have tried launching from the folder and using File/Open within Revit).

Once I have made the attempt, I find that I cannot open Revit at all. I must then reboot my machine and can start Revit normally.

I am running Vista Ultimate on a Dell Precision M90 laptop with a 27" external Dell monitor. I am running the monitor only and have the laptop screen disabled. Same thing happens if I keep the laptop sceen enabled but run the monitor as my primary. If I disable the monitor and run Revit on the laptop screen it will sometimes open without having to reboot.

My graphics card is NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M.
I think I have Open GL disabled (if it is I did so when I installed and can't remember).

Anyone else seeing difficulty getting Revit to be stable on a second monitor?

And, most important, any chance on getting that old file to open? I have a backup but I'd hate to have to redo two days of construction documents' work (newer backups won't open either).

Thanks,
Chris Broda

dhurtubise
2008-02-01, 10:18 PM
I've found old files sometimes hard to open when you skip a few version. If you can access older version, try to go that way.

CBroda
2008-02-01, 11:14 PM
Thanks, but this was actually already save as a 2008 file. I had saved it using the demo version of 2008.

But, you're right, I have seen difficulties opening my old files.

Chris

dhurtubise
2008-02-02, 01:34 AM
I would say send it to support but im assuming tht your are still on trial right?

CBroda
2008-02-02, 07:54 PM
No, I got the Series and subscription. I'll try them.

Thanks,
Chris