PDA

View Full Version : Revit's Language Translation Abilities

sfraney
2008-02-04, 02:35 PM
Good Morning Folks,

I had a client come into my office to learn more about what Revit can do for his company. Although I was able to answer all of his questions about what Revit can do, he did stump me on one question I did not have an answer for. His question was, "Since I do alot of international work, does Revit have the ability to do a foriegn language translation?"

Well I know how easy to is to change units from imperial to metric and vise versa but does anyone know if a Revit project can be translated from English to, say, Spanish, French, etc? And if not, what other non-Revit options do I have. Any help would be great.

aaronrumple
2008-02-04, 02:43 PM
No it doesn't.
Few options. Hire a translator. Write a custom programusing the API.

hand471037
2008-02-04, 03:58 PM
Well I know how easy to is to change units from imperial to metric and vise versa but does anyone know if a Revit project can be translated from English to, say, Spanish, French, etc? And if not, what other non-Revit options do I have. Any help would be great.

This actually is Revit's 'units' problem that AutoCAD has. Namely, in AutoCAD, changing units is a total pain if you're doing international work. Well, in Revit, units aren't the problem, but language is. Parameter names and data will be stuck in the language that they were created in, and there is no easy way to change them all. You'll need different sets of content for different countries. :-/

sfraney
2008-02-04, 04:12 PM
Thanks Aaron for the prompt reply. This is what I thought.

dhurtubise
2008-02-04, 10:17 PM
The software interface is easily changeable. All the hardcoded stuff(inclusing parameters) will get translated to.
As far as your annotaiton, the answer is no. But Keynote could easily be changed if translated.

hand471037
2008-02-05, 12:52 AM
The software interface is easily changeable. All the hardcoded stuff(inclusing parameters) will get translated to.

Not within Families. Parameters and materials inside of Families made in, say, the French version stay French when I use them in my english version.

Hence why I now know the word 'width' in german and french. :D

dhurtubise
2008-02-05, 01:03 AM
The parameters stay the same, except the hard coded one. The door width will show "largeur" in french. (I can help you with that one but not the german one :-) )