PDA

View Full Version : Printer Paths/Profile resetting

troy.osgood
2008-02-04, 08:08 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum...

One of my cad stations keeps resetting the user's profile and the saved printer support file paths. The printer support files are kept on a network drive. On boot-up, everyday, the user has to repath the search paths to go to the network. In the morning, it's reset to searching for the printers on his computer. His profile also keeps resetting and going back to the default profile. This means he loses the company specific menus and the buttons he's set up.

Any help on why this is happening?

BrenBren
2008-02-04, 08:24 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum...

One of my cad stations keeps resetting the user's profile and the saved printer support file paths. The printer support files are kept on a network drive. On boot-up, everyday, the user has to repath the search paths to go to the network. In the morning, it's reset to searching for the printers on his computer. His profile also keeps resetting and going back to the default profile. This means he loses the company specific menus and the buttons he's set up.

Any help on why this is happening?
He should be able to force a profile to load using the /p switch in the shortcut. Right click on the shortcut, and under properties, go to the shortcut tab. Where is says target, use the /p switch to force a profile. Mine is below as an example:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acadm 2007\acad.exe" /p Brenda

troy.osgood
2008-02-04, 08:29 PM
I just checked his shortcut and it's the same as mine. My profile remains on my custom one everytime I boot up CAD, where his resets. Same as the printer support file paths. I had to set mine to the network drive, and haven't had any problems since. His have to be repathed to the network drive all the time, for whatever reason it won't save.

BrenBren
2008-02-04, 08:32 PM
I just checked his shortcut and it's the same as mine. My profile remains on my custom one everytime I boot up CAD, where his resets. Same as the printer support file paths. I had to set mine to the network drive, and haven't had any problems since. His have to be repathed to the network drive all the time, for whatever reason it won't save.

Are you sure that's the shortcut he's using? I've had this problem with users before, only to find they weren't using the shortcut on the desktop that I was working on, but maybe going to the start menu to start AutoCAD.

The paths are resetting because it is loading a different profile would be my guess. Maybe it has something to do with network permissions (just guessing here, I'm not really sure)

troy.osgood
2008-02-04, 09:06 PM
My computer resets each time as well. Mine, and the other, defaults to "Architectural Desktop - Imperial" each time CAD is restarted. I just overwrote the "Architectural Desktop - Imperial" profile so that it matches my custom profile, which is why I never noticed it resetting.

A 3rd machine, an older one, mine and the other problem one are both brand new machines set up in the last 2 months, doesn't have this issue. His machine starts up on his custom profile.

All 3 machines have the same /p "Architectural Desktop - Imperial".

When I changed the problem machine /p to his custom profile and restarted CAD, it brought up his custom profile and a ton more buttons that he didn't have before.

dgladfelter
2008-07-29, 03:59 AM
Not necessarily the most kosher approach, but the plotter path is stored in the registry. Check out the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R17.1\ACAD-6000:409\Profiles\<<AUTOCAD>>\General] PrinterDescDir

In theory you could work up a script of some sort that changed that key?

Just a suggestion...

Donnie