PDA

View Full Version : Trimming a Curved and Dropping Wall

bcgatti
2008-02-05, 09:04 PM
I am looking for a little help in a good way to develop wood trim along the top surface of the wall that is shown in the attached image.

The height of the wall drops consistantly along the curve of the wall and I have no idea how to get Revit to allow me to create wood trim for the top of the wall. It would be similar to creating a banister for a curved staircase. I would like to show this in one segment if possible.

How would I get a profile to “sweep/extrude along a line” in Revit Architecture 2008 as I would be able to do in AutoCAD? Or is there a better way to do this?

Any assistance would be appreciated and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Brett

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-02-05, 09:38 PM
How would I get a profile to “sweep/extrude along a line” in Revit Architecture 2008 as I would be able to do in AutoCAD?

You answered your own question :lol:
Create an in-place sweep family and use the pick tool to select the top of your wall as the path for your sweep. You can sketch the profile in place of define a profile family.
One other point that may be of interest. You can create a reference plane to establish the angle of the top of your wall and then attach the top of the wall to the ref plane. No math, no fuss.

mjbednarczyk
2008-02-06, 02:52 PM
Well not really. I am working with Brett and Lynn on this one and what is suggested is not working. The wall is a glass wall that is segmented along 2 archs that have a kind of a spiral feel to it. It is composed of 20 segements along the two archs. Each panel is 3" higher than the other. The low point of the wall starts at 3'-0" and goes to 8'-0" along the two archs. There is not just one plane that you can define the sweep along. It would be 20 individual planes and possibly 20 different sweeps. It is like a spiral upward as along in plan. Attached is an elevation so you can see more info. I have tried to create a railing with success but it will not go along the top of the walls. We have tried defining a sweep at the top of the wall but since we adjusted the profile it want to put the sweep horizontally at the low point.

I tried to pick a plane while in the sketch mode in defining the path and I was unable to select the tops of the wall to redefine the plane so I think it might have to be 20 different planes which would accentuate the segements while the designer want to minimize this emphesis.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-02-06, 08:46 PM
Is it possible to create another wall that follows the same path as the segmented wall, use it as the host for the cap sweep and then hide the host wall?

bcgatti
2008-02-06, 08:55 PM
Dimitri,

Thanks for the feedback. We will give your suggestion a try.

Brett

mjbednarczyk
2008-02-07, 08:55 PM
Can't edit the profile of a curved wall.

Our solution so far is creating a stair that follows the steps and segments and the handrail is the cap for the wall.Hide the stair in views. Not pretty but gets the point across.

dhurtubise
2008-02-07, 09:30 PM
You can attach a curve wall to a ref plane to simulate its angle