PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to shrink a building by 2'?

Justin Marchiel
2008-02-06, 06:57 PM
I have a building where the CD as finished. The owner wants to shrink the building by about 2' to accommodate some future work and wants us to change the dwgs. What would be the best way to do this considering the CD are done (this affects sections, details, etc.). it seems easy enough to modify the model, but i am worried about the details.

Any advice beside get a new client?

Thanks

Justin

cliff collins
2008-02-06, 09:19 PM
Questions:

1. If the top/overall height is to be dropped--just drop the top of walls/parapets.

2. If the OVERALL height needs to be dropped ---divide total height by number of floors,
then adjust all levels accordingly.

hope this helps....

cheers....

Chris.N
2008-02-06, 09:24 PM
is the 2' difference in plan or elevation? either way i don't know, just want to help clarify. ;)

Justin Marchiel
2008-02-06, 11:01 PM
2' in plan.

and what i am really worried about is having to adjust all the details. model stuff is easy, but details, and annotation are not so easy.

Justin

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-07, 12:08 AM
You should be able to track the plan details fairly easily. The sections, i would LEAVE the section markers where they are for now.

When you move the walls, all of the details and detail objects will be off by the 2 feet in the sections. Go in to them one by one, and move all of your detail items the two feet, then adjust the crop regions and relocate on your sheets. I suppose you could also just move the sections, as youll still have to go in and grab the detail objects/tags/etc on a view by view basis.

That, or go through your sections first and start locking stuff or aligning it and locking it to the modeled geometry. Im not a fan of this, as i work with large project teams, and it gets ugly pretty fast.

Justin Marchiel
2008-02-07, 12:50 AM
that this kind of the approach that i was thinking, but starting to dread the idea of going thru the details and moving stuff over. I guess it would not be that bad as i know the amount that it move, just a royal PITA and time consuming.

Justin

slow1eo
2008-02-07, 01:30 PM
I hope you're charging the client by the hour :D good luck!!

I though Revit was so easy that you guys didn't have to worry about stuff like this.... I'm such silly newbie!!

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-07, 01:55 PM
I suppose its fair to sa that you dont have to worry about it if you contrain everything in your wall sections... but i know i dont, haha..

peakprecisiondesign
2008-02-07, 09:58 PM
I may not have as much experience as some here and this may sound overly simple but wouldn't you go about it about the same way as the ol' mirror project workaround? I mean open all the necessary views, ctrl select all walls, details etc., activate the dimensions and take out the two feet, a little cleanup and you're done. I shrink houses quite often and it isn't too bad. Like I said, forgive me if this isn't applicable to your project, I don't draw large buildings.

Cole

SCShell
2008-02-08, 03:26 PM
I may not have as much experience as some here and this may sound overly simple but wouldn't you go about it about the same way as the ol' mirror project workaround? I mean open all the necessary views, ctrl select all walls, details etc., activate the dimensions and take out the two feet, a little cleanup and you're done. I shrink houses quite often and it isn't too bad. Like I said, forgive me if this isn't applicable to your project, I don't draw large buildings.

Cole

Hey there,

I think what everyone here is referring to are all of the "drafted" lines and "detail components" which were drawn on top of the model in his details and sections. When you move the main wall in the model, the wall also moves in your called out details and sections. Unfortunatly, all of the detail line work and detail components will no longer be located on the wall as originally drafted.
Although I think that most of us use the model for details and wall sections, this is a good argument for not showing the model in details......

Good luck
Steve