PDA

View Full Version : In-place void won't cut wall-hosted sweep?

patricks
2008-02-06, 07:55 PM
I have a wall-hosted sweep for a cornice at the top of an exterior wall. This wall runs perpendicular into the sloped side of a roof. I tried to make an in-place void to cut the end of the sweep to be parallel with the roof (holding the end of the sweep about 8" off the surface of the roof). When I used the cut geometry tool, the sweep cut just fine. But then when I went to finish the in-place void family, Revit highlighted the wall sweep in orange and said:

"Elements can't be copied because they will lose their References."

huh? What in the world does cutting a sweep have to do with copying anything or the references of the sweep? Expanding the error message, the wall cornice sweep was the only element listed. I've never seen this before, nor can I figure out why I can't cut a sweep. The sweep's type properties are set to both cut wall and to be cut by inserts, and is also set to the Wall Sweeps - Cornice subcategory. Any ideas?

J. Grouchy
2008-09-17, 05:55 PM
I have a wall-hosted sweep for a cornice at the top of an exterior wall. This wall runs perpendicular into the sloped side of a roof. I tried to make an in-place void to cut the end of the sweep to be parallel with the roof (holding the end of the sweep about 8" off the surface of the roof). When I used the cut geometry tool, the sweep cut just fine. But then when I went to finish the in-place void family, Revit highlighted the wall sweep in orange and said:

"Elements can't be copied because they will lose their References."

huh? What in the world does cutting a sweep have to do with copying anything or the references of the sweep? Expanding the error message, the wall cornice sweep was the only element listed. I've never seen this before, nor can I figure out why I can't cut a sweep. The sweep's type properties are set to both cut wall and to be cut by inserts, and is also set to the Wall Sweeps - Cornice subcategory. Any ideas?

I just got this same error message when placing an in-place sweep on a wall. I can find no relation to this sweep and the object that is highlighted when the error message pops up. Have you found any explanation for this?

Neil Osher
2009-03-30, 02:20 PM
I'm running into this issue this morning and wanted to resurrect this post to see in there is any more insight as to why this happens. Essentially we use wall sweeps to create battered (outward sloping) walls and in this instance we want to cut out a niche in the battering.

cliff collins
2009-03-30, 02:39 PM
Sounds like another "workaround" solution is needed, like using a Mass for the battered/
canted wall, then editing the Mass with a Mass Void for the niche, the "re-create" the walls
from the Mass, etc. A very tedious process, indeed, but it can work.

Hoping 2010 new modeling tools will improve these issues? LOL.

cheers...........

Neil Osher
2009-03-30, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I think we'll just sketch masking regions for the client meeting this morning. I like to avoid tedious workarounds. :) Now if we had a dozen niches to cut out, maybe that would be the way to go....

Thanks for the input!