PDA

View Full Version : Property Lines for site

Les Therrien
2008-02-06, 08:45 PM
Normally I just make my site plans in AutoCad then import them, but that is sometimes frustrating for other reasons.
I'm trying to enter survey data in Revit using the tables of distance and bearrings.
I enter the data as it is on the survey but when I'm done, I get a mangled site with the ends being far from closing the proper shape!
Why is this? I could where the L/R option would help, but they're greyed out and only seem available for curved data.
Should I be reversing the survey data? If the bearring says North, should I try south?
Right now the property boundaries look like a screwed up coat hanger,

aaronrumple
2008-02-07, 05:12 AM
You have to enter the data in the correct order from the benchmark start point of the survey...

BMcCallum
2008-02-07, 03:24 PM
I usually try to sketch the site first, just with drafting lines. I use the distances and bearing provide, moving the lines if they go in the wrong direction.

Then, when it is laid out right, I create a Property Line object picking those lines when sketching the lines.

One extra step, but it seems to help.

Surveyors in our area seem to prefer full-circle bearings, which creates additional complexity in the tables.

dsw98
2008-02-11, 10:53 PM
You have to enter the data in the correct order from the benchmark start point of the survey...

what if I don't have that benchmark start point? I try different combinations as my starting point and can never get the lines to go the right direction.

Merlin
2008-02-11, 11:52 PM
*I'M BACK!...Reviting after a 2.5 year hiatus!*

There are 2 things that I find frustrating with property boundaries
1. is that the bearings I often get are not a sequential set-out (ie...start...120m @ 135D13'46", then 48.5m @ 98D25'02", then...etc).
They're often taken from several points instead so you're moving around the boundary then find one shoots off the wrong way and you find the bearing is from the opposite end.
2. is that on larger properties you get all the way around and find the boundaries don't join - the last one misses by some distance.

These things ruin the automated and accurate aspects as you waste time trying to figure what you have to alter etc....eh...this isn't a REVIT problem, I might add; it's obviously a surveying issue.

John Mc

dsw98
2008-02-12, 04:01 PM
*I'M BACK!...Reviting after a 2.5 year hiatus!*

There are 2 things that I find frustrating with property boundaries
1. is that the bearings I often get are not a sequential set-out (ie...start...120m @ 135D13'46", then 48.5m @ 98D25'02", then...etc).
They're often taken from several points instead so you're moving around the boundary then find one shoots off the wrong way and you find the bearing is from the opposite end.
2. is that on larger properties you get all the way around and find the boundaries don't join - the last one misses by some distance.

These things ruin the automated and accurate aspects as you waste time trying to figure what you have to alter etc....eh...this isn't a REVIT problem, I might add; it's obviously a surveying issue.

John Mc

I agree. From what i've been told a North West corrdinate would be the same as a South East Corrdinate. And it seems like most of the site plans I get are backwards when surveyed. I've had to adjust a few lines that way to get it to work. It's the only way I can thing to make it work, unless there is another way to do it?

gordolake
2008-02-12, 11:08 PM
Hi, indeed this is a awkward, but here in Australian where we use a system of defining survey angles from north 0 degrees clockwise to south 180 and on to 360d north again-

select starting point where most bearings seem to follow on from, either CW or CCW
take note when you encounter a reverse bearing and apply a simple rule to find the "back bearing" -
for angles up to and including 180d add 2 to the 100's column then subtract 2 from the 10's column - i.e. 20d 50'30" becomes 200d 50'30" also 45d becomes 225d and 180 becomes 360 etc
for angles over 180d do the reverse , subtract 2 from the 100's column then add 2 to the 10's column i.e. 270d becomes 90d 320d 30'50" becomes 140d 30'80" back bearing.Hope this helps someone out.

steve

chris.needham
2008-02-16, 11:44 PM
Hi, indeed this is a awkward, but here in Australian where we use a system of defining survey angles from north 0 degrees clockwise to south 180 and on to 360d north again-

select starting point where most bearings seem to follow on from, either CW or CCW
take note when you encounter a reverse bearing and apply a simple rule to find the "back bearing" -
for angles up to and including 180d add 2 to the 100's column then subtract 2 from the 10's column - i.e. 20d 50'30" becomes 200d 50'30" also 45d becomes 225d and 180 becomes 360 etc
for angles over 180d do the reverse , subtract 2 from the 100's column then add 2 to the 10's column i.e. 270d becomes 90d 320d 30'50" becomes 140d 30'80" back bearing.Hope this helps someone out.

steve

Yeah, this is similar to what I do too. It's just adding or subtracting 180 degrees.