PDA

View Full Version : Problem attaching tops and bottoms of walls

patricks
2008-02-06, 11:09 PM
I have a fairly complex project that is almost finished with CD's, and I have discovered a problem with attaching tops and bottoms of walls to floors, roofs, ceilings, etc.

I thought that when you attach a wall to a floor or roof above that only covers part of the wall, then only the portion of the wall directly below would extend up and attach. Well now for some reason when I attach various walls to a floor above, the entire length of the wall extends up, even the portion that is not under the floor itself. This is causing the wall to poke through the roof in some areas. Anyone experienced this before?

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-07, 12:03 AM
I have a few walls in a few projects that act similarly: If the edge of the wall is near the ridge of a gable, the wall will attach itself to the *plane* of ONE side of the gable, and will continue up past the ridge. And no, there is no ref plane that i accidentally attached it to.

I also have a few walls tat flat out refuse to attach to the roofs above, for whatever reason.

Its finicky at best... :)

patricks
2008-02-07, 02:05 PM
I have a few walls in a few projects that act similarly: If the edge of the wall is near the ridge of a gable, the wall will attach itself to the *plane* of ONE side of the gable, and will continue up past the ridge. And no, there is no ref plane that i accidentally attached it to.

I also have a few walls tat flat out refuse to attach to the roofs above, for whatever reason.

Its finicky at best... :)

That's not really my problem. I know what the problem is you're speaking of. I first experienced it back in 2005. The problem you refer to happens when one or both ends of a wall have their base endpoints just past the lower surface of the roof you try to attach to. To make it behave correctly, you have to pull back the ends of the wall just slightly so there will be a tiny triangular opening at the base of the wall, where it intersects the roof.

But anyway, my problem is that an entire wall is extending up to the bottom face of a floor, even though the floor only covers maybe half of the wall. Normally only the portion of the wall directly under the floor/roof/ceiling will extend up, but it's not working like that in this case.

*edit* nevermind, it seems to always work that way. A wall can partially attach to a roof, but when attaching to a floor, the whole thing comes up to the bottom level of the floor. Seems like a bug to me.

patricks
2008-02-07, 02:23 PM
I noticed some interesting behavior of wall attachments, based what the wall is attached to, and in what order it is attached. See the attached image.

Seems that a roof only pulls up what is directly under it, always. The floors or ceilings pull up either the whole wall or only what is under it, based on what else it is already attached to.

IMHO I think all 3 elements should behave like roofs when it comes to wall attachment.

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-07, 04:43 PM
Thats a great diagram. I am always trying to stress in our office that *order of operations* certainly matters in this pesky program... :)

:::right click > save as:::

patricks
2008-02-07, 04:59 PM
pesky heh... that it is for sure :p

patricks
2008-12-16, 03:47 PM
having this problem again... I have a piece of a wall penetrating a floor above only at the very end of the wall. I cannot split this wall as I have a cased opening directly below. If I try to attach the top of the wall to the floor, the entire top of wall drops down to the level of the floor, which is incorrect. The wall is in a rather odd location running at an angle compared to other walls and I really don't want to have to edit the wall profile, either. Frustrating!!!!