PDA

View Full Version : Can I create complete site drawings?

Tom Phillips
2008-02-07, 03:40 PM
I am new to Revit and leaning a lot, great program. One thing I’m not sure of is site tasks. I work for a Design/Build firm. I create 100% of the drawings and our crews do about 70% of the work needed to build or add on to a business, Including site drainage and some of the utility work. How do you show storm, electrical, sanitary, water, phone, etc. lines or objects on the site plans? Can 2d and 3d be represented? Can these be scheduled and tagged with smart information like that of a room, wall, window, etc.? Do you use lines and can text be added to line types? I know the program is called Revit Architectural not Revit Civil. Does the Revit MEP do this? Are there 3rd party programs for these tasks? Basically can I create complete site drawings in Revit Architectural like I do in AutoCAD ADT?

Using the phrase “complete site drawings” is relative from firm to firm. I am referring to “plans” at this point. Details and Specs will probability be another question for another time.

dhurtubise
2008-02-07, 04:32 PM
The answer is yes and no. If you wanna do it like AutoCAD, yes. You can always draw line with Revit.
No if you plan on having civil data associated to it. Use Civil 3D for that.

dzatto
2008-02-27, 03:40 PM
I had the exact same question. Just sat through a Revit demo with my reseller. It looks nice, different mind you, but nice. Problem is, I also do all my site design. Can you turn angles using bearing and distance, offset lines for curbs and parking, etc? When you say we can do it just like in ACA (ADT), do you mean linetypes, dims, everything can be set up? What about blocks, does Revit use them? Then when I export it to a dwg, will it be true so my civil engineers won't have a problem?

dhurtubise
2008-02-27, 08:16 PM
Doing it like acad means you can draw lines exactly like in acad. Blocks are families in Revit so it shouldnt be an issue. And Finally as far as exporting, yes you can