PDA

View Full Version : Solid Site Creation

Phil Read
2008-02-07, 11:00 PM
This may be useful for creating a site which needs to contain topography that can be voided so as to contain below grade constructs (parking garage, tunnels, etc).

It is created as a floor with the Variable option selected in the floors properties. Then you add spot elevations (make sure "Relative" is unchecked when adding points. This creates the topographic triangulation.

This particular example contains two Floors - one for the site and the other for the road. The Site Floor is created first - then copied down 1' in elevation and changed to a Road Floor. The Road Floor is slightly below the Site Floor. But they align.

An in-place Void Extrusion is then created (Floor Category) that is the shape of the desired road or sidewalk. The Void is told to cut the Site Floor - but not the Road Floor.

While this is a Horrible Hack (TM)...Eddy Krygiel still wishes he came up with the idea. ;). Long story....

File and image attached.

Regards -

Phil

hand471037
2008-02-08, 12:42 AM
This particular example contains two Floors - one for the site and the other for the road. The Site Floor is created first - then copied down 1' in elevation and changed to a Road Floor. The Road Floor is slightly below the Site Floor. But they align.

Is this a hint that the 'Road' category under model elements is actually going to be used from something? :D

Honestly though a good trick. Thanks for posting that.

L Wood
2008-06-04, 11:06 PM
What a great tip.

Found this thread in the midst of designing tunnels under a utility plant… there’s no “make tunnels” option in the site tools- incase anyone else is wondering.

Tried to save time by exporting the existing site model I had…though I could use it to trace with- but I couldn’t figure out any way to salvage the surface. Did find a cool way to make roofs and walls from the exported site file (dwg format) imported while creating a mass family. Blah blah… digress.

I’ll cut this short and say thanks again for sharing… allowing us all to gather lot’s with little hunting.