PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Strings?

ty_demo15
2008-02-08, 02:33 PM
Probably another stupid question from me, but, if you have created a continuous dimension string, is there a way to move an individual dimension rather than the entire string?

dhurtubise
2008-02-08, 02:36 PM
Sure, click the string and you will see square at each dimension line. Move those

ty_demo15
2008-02-08, 02:40 PM
I understand that I can change the "Witness" line, but if i wanted to "Stretch" a single dimension so that it is not in line with the original string. Is that possible?

dhurtubise
2008-02-08, 02:45 PM
Thats not possible

ty_demo15
2008-02-08, 02:46 PM
Ok, Thank you

patricks
2008-02-08, 08:24 PM
It would be nice to be able to "break" or split a dimension string into separate pieces.

pdickman
2008-02-08, 09:44 PM
The only way I know of splitting dim strings is to create each dimension seperately... I always end up making the string then erasing and replacing with seperate dimensions at some later time so I can add a column line, or use the prefixes and suffixes. I suppose I would save more time by not doing the string at all but it is such a cool tool. I get started and i can't help myself.

lhanyok
2008-02-08, 09:54 PM
I also find myself typically using individual dimensions instead of strings. I don't have enough control over the string if either the design changes or the project manager wants the documentation changed.

patricks
2008-02-11, 08:07 PM
The only way I know of splitting dim strings is to create each dimension seperately... I always end up making the string then erasing and replacing with seperate dimensions at some later time so I can add a column line, or use the prefixes and suffixes. I suppose I would save more time by not doing the string at all but it is such a cool tool. I get started and i can't help myself.

Yeah that's what I mean. It would be nice to be able to split a dimension string on either side of a witness line to create 2 separate strings, or to split it up entirely into individual dimensions.

Having that ability would save me a TON of time while documenting.

Gadget Man
2008-02-12, 07:36 AM
It would be nice to be able to "break" or split a dimension string into separate pieces.

If I am not mistaken, during my very first encounter with Revit (version 5) it was still possible - I even marvelled at this option... Several other functionalities "disappeared" since then, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of them... Pity.