PDA

View Full Version : Using "Match" tool with in-place families

narlee
2008-02-09, 02:29 AM
So far as I know, you cannot do this. I did notice a "Match" action when I right-click on a generic model located in the Project Browser list under Families. Wondering...that would be a very handy tool.

aaronrumple
2008-02-09, 03:21 PM
So far as I know, you cannot do this. I did notice a "Match" action when I right-click on a generic model located in the Project Browser list under Families. Wondering...that would be a very handy tool.

Impossible to do as each in-place family is a totally unique object. Even if you copy an in-place family - it is a new unique object. And one of the bigest reasons you want to use then as little as possibe,

narlee
2008-02-09, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Aaron. I don't disagree with you. But the "out-of-place" families are very time-consuming when one is doing hip rafter voids/intersections, as an example. Also, several extra steps to lengthen, etc. My projects do not have enough repetitive elements to quite make it efficient to use out-of-place families as much as I'd like. Still working on it. I've evolved into a Revit stick-builder, and have been revisiting the advantages Revit families offer beyond the basics, so I'm struggling with that balance.

Trying to bridge that gap between custom in-place requirements (like particular rafter intersections) and parametrics. So far, only discovered that I can transfer reference planes from a project to a family, but that's not greatly efficient. Also, trying to standardize elements creation that will tie into a material takeoff schedule with some uniformity of approach.

Thanks for confirming, tho.

aaronrumple
2008-02-11, 02:32 PM
You can transfer all the geometry to a standard family. While editing the in-place family, select all the geometry. Copy this. Then open a family template and paste.

You could easily parameter’ize hip rafter and valley components. It will take some time to get all the geometry the way you want. But once created, al of your work should go much faster.

If I were doing a lot of this type of work, I'd probably prefabricate whole chucks of building. Such as a dormer that was flexible in width, length and height....

narlee
2008-03-19, 12:33 PM
I'm coming 'round to your point of view. Normally, I couldn't bear to admit such a thing to someone, but in YOUR case, I don't mind :-).

Plus, damn good ideas following your general proposition.

Thanks very much, amigo.