PDA

View Full Version : Dimension String Crossing

mmiles
2008-02-11, 05:11 PM
Hi all,

I have a general drafting question:

Preface: in both irrigation plans and electrical plans one often uses an arc to show where pipes or diagrams of wiring continue when they cross other lines. This helps clarify which line serves a mechanical device.

Questions: If I wanted to do the same thing with dimension strings- as a way to clarify something- what is the best way to do this in Revit. Do Revit dims have a feature like this set into the properties?

Do any of you practice this technique as a part of your office standards (dimensions)?

T.I.A.

dhurtubise
2008-02-11, 05:40 PM
Thats an MEP practice. You cant do that in Revit Architecture

pdickman
2008-02-12, 04:32 PM
Back in the old, old days of hand drawing, we used to break one dimension line where two dimensions crossed. I don't think you can do this automatically in REVIT (or autocad, for that matter). Sure would be nice if we could break the lines graphically and automatically. Masking regions is too tedious for the added clarity value. For that matter I would also like to be able to use curved lines for keynotes. These are much less likely to look like part of the picture. And while I'm at it, it would be nice if the centerline linestyle could have the short lines be darker... ah, ink on mylar.

HOWEVER, let it be said, I love Revit.

russell.eckstein
2011-04-22, 03:16 PM
Back in the old, old days of hand drawing, we used to break one dimension line where two dimensions crossed. I don't think you can do this automatically in REVIT (or autocad, for that matter). Sure would be nice if we could break the lines graphically and automatically. Masking regions is too tedious for the added clarity value. For that matter I would also like to be able to use curved lines for keynotes. These are much less likely to look like part of the picture. And while I'm at it, it would be nice if the centerline linestyle could have the short lines be darker... ah, ink on mylar.

HOWEVER, let it be said, I love Revit.

In Autocad you can use the DIMBREAK command to break dimension lines. I would not mask the region of crossing dims in Revit, but would pull the witness line back and then provide a detail line back to the item being dimensioned. In Revit you can use arc lines for keynotes, You can too in AutoCAD, just have to use an arc.

pdickman
2011-04-22, 09:44 PM
Thanks! Another mystery solved.