PDA

View Full Version : Stacked Walls and Window types

mzabritski
2008-02-11, 07:08 PM
What's the best way to create windows like the ones displayed here? In previous projects I used a stacked wall for the main wall, then a curtain wall system for the window and wall below it. After grouping the curtain wall system, I was able to copy it around the project, but did run into several problems where the group didn't want to cut the wall correctly, etc...

Are there any suggestions for windows that have different conditions below (or above )them? This will be a common window used again and again in the project so we would like to be able to keep it grouped or a family so we can make mass changes easily.

dhurtubise
2008-02-11, 07:53 PM
Those could easily be build as a Window family. No need to use a CW

mzabritski
2008-02-11, 07:57 PM
Are you building the window with a larger than needed opening and then adding a short wall segment in the main model?

Or are you building the low "wall" into the window family? If so how?

dhurtubise
2008-02-11, 08:05 PM
First do you need to shchedule the piece of wall under the window?
If not, build it in the Window family.
If so, you can split horizontally and change the wall type.

mzabritski
2008-02-11, 08:31 PM
Daniel,

Thanks for the help. I had forgotten that you could split a wall horizontally and change its type. That seems to work fine for what we need to do.

Just for information, when you say to create the wall in the window family, are you saying to just create a solid extrusion in the window family? Do you assign it any subcategory? They are all window subcategories and the extrusion will not clean up with the wall once in the model.

dhurtubise
2008-02-11, 08:56 PM
That the process but from the example i was assuming that it was someking of concrete and the walls were brick.
yes you assign it to a subcategory so you can control the material