PDA

View Full Version : Raking railing corner condition

PeterJ
2004-08-27, 03:07 PM
Attached is an extract from a work in progress, I say that so that you can ignore some of the rather unusual lines.

I have done some work to produce a parametric raking baluster family but now I have a problem dealing with the corner conditions. If I use two railings to get balusters to work right then I don't get the continuous junction in the rails at the corner. I am wondering whether I need a baluster railing and a railing railing railing in this condition. Right now it's the only thing that I can think of....

Any other suggestions wil be gratefull received.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-27, 03:41 PM
What about a right and left Post baluster instead? Model the corner conditions as individual posts...just musing... Otherwise I might be inclined to make "column" families that are the corner conditions and place railings in between.

Allen Lacy
2004-08-27, 03:45 PM
What about a right and left Post baluster instead? Model the corner conditions as individual posts...just musing... Otherwise I might be inclined to make "column" families that are the corner conditions and place railings in between.
Just musing here too. What about no posts at corners? Just let the railing "cantilever" around corners with posts a short distance from corners.

adegnan
2004-08-27, 09:32 PM
What about creating the rails as an in-place family sweep (create the profile family in advance so you can re-use it) and then place the posts? Create the posts as a family as well, and then join geometry as necessary. The sweep should be very easy! And if you've already created that baluster, change its family type so you can place it as a component.

PeterJ
2004-08-29, 10:25 AM
I didn't make myself quite clear. I don't want a corner post. I want a baluster located as per the leftmost baluster above the buff coloured wall and then the return above the rendered wall should have it's first post located a similar distance along the railings all pretty much as Allen describes it.

I will have a quick look at Steve's solution, but I think the reuse of railings is as quick as your solution Abe.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-08-29, 07:23 PM
I'm no railing expert but, can't you control how the rail behaves by changing its offset? Set the 'origin' of the railing to the inside, not where the posts are, and it would use the top rail to control placement of the posts.
Does that make sense?