PDA

View Full Version : Cannot save families to network server

pdickman
2008-02-13, 07:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone had this problem. This is what I just submitted to the autodesk support center, but I thought I would also check out the wealth of knowledge here.

<<I am not able to save newly created families to network servers (I tried 2 different ones). A 12k file is created in the directory I was saving the family to. I cannot delete the 12k files, I recieve an error message that the file is being used by another person or program. If I try to open the file, I get an invalid file handle error. I tried from a different computer, but still could not save. I can save to my own hard drive. I can copy the file from my c: drive to the network with the family remaining intact and working correctly when loaded into a project.>>

Graham Briggs
2010-01-24, 09:21 PM
Bump

Did you ever figure out what was happening? Or what the problem was?

I have similar problems with RFA and RVT files; cannot open or save to a network drive from within Revit.

Scratching my head...

dhurtubise
2010-01-25, 12:07 AM
Can you give us some info the network please. Type, Server OS, etc..

jsnyder.68308
2010-01-25, 04:43 AM
I have had similar problems. HP Proliant server, MS Server 2003 R2,

Graham Briggs
2010-01-25, 02:51 PM
Daniel,

Don't laugh... The network consists of 5 consumer boxes (running XP and Vista) + a Dell Optilplex acting as a print/scan server + an external USB drive that acts as a Master Save. No dedicated server, no server OS.

Thru Windows, I can save, open, print, etc. In Revit, I can "see" the NAS, print server, and other boxes, but cannot open or save files, or print directly to the HP plotter - interestingly, I can print to the Ricoh wide format, same print server.

OK, printing is another issue, but the file open/save problems are getting aggravating. Is there a setting or .ini switch that I am missing? I don't believe the boss will be willing to shell out for a dedicated server and software very soon.

Any thoughts?

dhurtubise
2010-01-25, 02:58 PM
I remember reading about issues with NAS. Can you check if you can save to a network location thats not on the NAS?
And i promise not laugh ;-)

Graham Briggs
2010-01-25, 03:13 PM
I am not at the office yet, but I [remember] being able to save to "Public" drive space on at least one of the other computers. I will verify later.

FWIW Another employee, who uses mostly ACAD, cannot save to NAS either. Attempting to do so, crashes ACAD. At least, Revit does not crash, just issues a "File Not Saved" error.

Thanks.

Graham Briggs
2010-01-26, 01:17 AM
Just verified: I can save to at least one other computer on our adhoc network. Maybe the problem lies with the NAS?

heath.simone
2010-01-26, 01:26 AM
Do you/your IT department have any folder security setup on the folders your trying to save to?

You might find users do not have write access to the drive.

marcus.151997
2010-01-26, 04:31 PM
We had similar issues, it started occuring after installing Microsoft updates in December. We noticed that Revit lost connection w/ the server only when we had a Microsoft product open (Outlook, IE, Picture Manager, etc.) Our IT guy told us it happened to another firm and to disable our 3gb switch, everything has been running fine since.

jsnyder.68308
2010-01-27, 12:29 AM
Are you using DFS by any chance? See link:

http://help2.autodesk.com/kb/display.do?ROW_ID=1-GQB-1149

Although Revit does not appear on the list, I assume it should since I can save AutoCAD and ACA files to a DFS share without problems, but Revit files don't work from inside the application. I can easily enough save the file to a local location, then copy move up to the DFS share. Pretty sure that this is my problem - I cannot speak to NAS issues.

Graham Briggs
2010-01-27, 03:13 PM
Well thank you all for your input. I believe our problem was the "early generation" NAS, actually just an USB/LAN external drive. I was able to save from within Revit to another "true" NAS late yesterday, and will test on different machines today.

Thanks again.