PDA

View Full Version : Dormer help....

still.james
2008-02-15, 03:38 PM
i've never drawn a dormer and i got a scheme im working on where i've gotta draw some.

i was hoping for a component in windows, but no luck.. any good guides on how to draw some?

they are gonna be flat top dormers, so no pitch needed.

like the first but completely flat, second pic is the project in question.

TIA

bd04
2008-02-15, 04:37 PM
just for a quick start you could try something like this
Draw dormer walls
Select walls > Attach Top/base on options bar > select base and attach to main roof
Draw dormer roof > Join/Unjoin Roof> attach dormer roof edge to main roof
Opening (modelling tools) > Dormer Opening and sketch opening from dormer walls and roof
hope that helps

Carlos GT
2008-02-16, 04:30 PM
Check out this tutorial in http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/revit/tutorials.htm, and look for "Creating Dormer Roofs in Revit Building".

still.james
2008-02-17, 03:16 PM
thanks for the replies, i kind of cracked it but i have another problem now with the window not cutting the brickwork.

will post tomorrow when i get back to work.

still.james
2008-02-22, 05:07 PM
got it sorted and here is the result

this is my first proper project in revit and im happy with the outcome (got a few things to clean up still though)

aargumaniz
2008-03-18, 07:11 PM
I'm going to piggy back on this post to post a question of mine in regards to Dormers.
I have a curved roof that I am adding a dormer or something similar. I was able to get the roof to cut, but not all of my walls were cut to the shape of the curved roof. The left side of the image is what I get when I use Opening>Dormer Opening. When I do this I select the outside face of the wall. The dormer on the right is one I created with the same step above, but then edited the profile of the wall so that I could have the clean, cut look that I was looking for.

My question is what am I doing wrong that I can't achieve the look I am going after?
Next question is how do I get rid of the cut opening line that is shown after I cut the roof. Do I just select it and delete it?

Mike Sealander
2008-03-19, 06:50 PM
I would cut a hold in the roof with a void or by editing the roof's plan. I don't really use the dormer opening tool.
Then, rest your dormer walls on top of the roof by editing their profiles, or use void extrusions that follow the roof plane. In terms of construction, I would find the section more compelling with the dormer walls sitting on the roof, rather than fitting within the roof opening.
This method may seem simplistic in the sense that it's similar to manipulating solids is AutoCAD, but for me it seems to work.

patricks
2008-03-20, 12:00 AM
I'm going to piggy back on this post to post a question of mine in regards to Dormers.
I have a curved roof that I am adding a dormer or something similar. I was able to get the roof to cut, but not all of my walls were cut to the shape of the curved roof. The left side of the image is what I get when I use Opening>Dormer Opening. When I do this I select the outside face of the wall. The dormer on the right is one I created with the same step above, but then edited the profile of the wall so that I could have the clean, cut look that I was looking for.

My question is what am I doing wrong that I can't achieve the look I am going after?
Next question is how do I get rid of the cut opening line that is shown after I cut the roof. Do I just select it and delete it?

You don't need the dormer tool for that scenario, because you have walls on all 4 sides that come up above the roof. The dormer opening is for when you have walls on 3 sides and a dormer roof joined to the main roof. This creates an opening with vertical sides on the 3 sides with the walls, and a horizontal cut through the main roof where the dormer roof attaches (since the roof runs mainly horizontally).

In your case, I would either create a normal vertical opening in your roof, or edit the roof sketch, and align the sketch lines with the inside face of your walls. Then select the 4 walls and attach their base to the roof and it should clean up nicely. That will also make the walls sit on the edges of the roof opening as Mike described.

The only thing that probably won't look exactly right is the interior finish of the walls won't extend down, but you can take care of that in your details. You can also remove the line that you get between the attached bottom of wall and the roof with the linework tool.