PDA

View Full Version : newbie question - windows

pshupe
2008-02-17, 08:08 PM
Which way is inside/outside? Is the "flip instance" icon on the inside? I'm using double casement with trim and it seems like where the sill sticks out would be on the interior but I was wondering if there was a typical orientation?? Please advise.

Regards Peter.

aaronrumple
2008-02-17, 08:19 PM
Which way is inside/outside? Is the "flip instance" icon on the inside? I'm using double casement with trim and it seems like where the sill sticks out would be on the interior but I was wondering if there was a typical orientation?? Please advise.

Regards Peter.

Depends on who made the window. Good practice is to put the flip arrow on the outside of windows and on the front side of other objects. However, there is nothing in Revit that requires that. Even Revit's own content isn't always the most consistent.

Brian Myers
2008-02-17, 08:33 PM
I've found that for a lot of Revit's default content that the Interior is often on the same side as the Temporary Dimension lines during placement. But as Aaron mentioned, that rule of thumb doesn't always apply.

pshupe
2008-02-17, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I think it is more a problem with the specific window I am picking as I can't tell which is supposed to be inside or out because there is trim on both sides. There does show a sill, in section that sticks out. I assume that is on the interior as it wouldn't be a very good detail for the exterior. Thanks again for that. I was hoping that it was always one or the other for the side with which the flip instance icon was shown, but oh well. I think I will try and find a different window. Doesn't make sense to have trim on the outside when using a brick exterior finish. Cheers Peter.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-02-18, 03:54 AM
You can tell if you check the tag on placement option when placing the window. Revit will always place the tag on the outside as it is defined in the family.

Gadget Man
2008-02-18, 06:57 AM
...There does show a sill, in section that sticks out. I assume that is on the interior as it wouldn't be a very good detail for the exterior...

Well... that depends what part of the World you are from - in OZ we usually don't have any internal sills and ONLY the external ones... in small residential drafting that is.

Calvn_Swing
2008-02-18, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I think it is more a problem with the specific window I am picking as I can't tell which is supposed to be inside or out because there is trim on both sides. There does show a sill, in section that sticks out. I assume that is on the interior as it wouldn't be a very good detail for the exterior. Thanks again for that. I was hoping that it was always one or the other for the side with which the flip instance icon was shown, but oh well. I think I will try and find a different window. Doesn't make sense to have trim on the outside when using a brick exterior finish. Cheers Peter.

You misunderstood, you can tell because it is consistent within one family. As long as those windows are all the same family, it will always be on the same side of that family. Select the window, click edit family, and you can actually see the flip symbol as it is placed in the family in the ref plan view. You can also move it to whatever side you want, though I would stick to the exterior side as this is typical in most content (doors as well). Whomever makes the family decides what side it is on since it is user defined. The problem is that users aren't the most consistent...

dhurtubise
2008-02-19, 04:37 PM
make sure the arrows are on the outside. Walls behave this way and we cant change it. Since we control doors and windows why not follow the rule?

The Sweg
2008-02-19, 06:25 PM
Keep in mind, too that you can place the windows consistently once you know which side the flip arrows are on, by clicking on the exterior of the wall as you place the window (assuming you are placing them in a plan view).

arlyo
2016-05-18, 08:59 PM
I have the same situation. I base my decision by looking at the window's operation meaning how it open versus the fix side.