PDA

View Full Version : precast building

Doug
2008-02-19, 08:17 PM
Hi
We are doing a precast conc building. We have a precast spandrel panel with a curtian wall above to the next precast spantral panel - The Spandrel panels are structural.

What would be the best practic to accomplish this?

We were thinking the the spandels would be modeled as a (wall???) panel (surface has a embosed design) and a curtian wall placed between the spandrel panels. BUT what happens to the room finish schedule and area plans?

Any thoughts before I screw up... I mean get started?

dhurtubise
2008-02-19, 08:22 PM
What do you mean by what happens to finish schedule and area plan? CW are still room bouding. You can also insert walls into a CW panel.
The only shortcoming is that if you deal with an engineer that uses Revit Structure, CW dont show in a structural view. He will need to use Arch or Coordination.

Doug
2008-02-19, 08:31 PM
Sorry-
We were thinking of modeling the spandrel panels as beams and using them as the low wall

dhurtubise
2008-02-19, 08:34 PM
Do you have a sketch of the design handy?

Doug
2008-02-19, 08:51 PM
Attached is a prelim view - panels have changed form granite to a relief panel - (NYD) Not yet designed

dhurtubise
2008-02-19, 09:04 PM
Use a wall then an embedded CW type for the window. Like the Storefront ype for example.

patricks
2008-02-19, 09:29 PM
Yeah I would build the whole wall with your spandrel panel material on the exterior, and then insert storefront wall types for the curtain walls.

You'll run into trouble when the glass turns around corners, though. You'll have a piece of the main wall left in the corner. I can't remember what the latest workaround is for that problem.

dhurtubise
2008-02-19, 09:43 PM
You'll run into trouble when the glass turns around corners, though. You'll have a piece of the main wall left in the corner. I can't remember what the latest workaround is for that problem.
Just post back will guide you ;-)