PDA

View Full Version : Structural help

barathd
2004-08-28, 12:11 AM
I have a few questions regarding Revits structural modeling capability. I would like to run my beams on a slope - can't seem to rotate beams. I would also like to have my structural column tags to read at a 45 degree angle opposed to vertical or horizontal. Can these items be done and if so how?

Thanks

Dick Barath

barathd
2004-08-28, 12:18 AM
Forgot to add I would like to see my full structural members in elevation - not stick diagrams. Would someone have an example of some steel framing they could post?

Regards

Dick Barath

hand471037
2004-08-28, 12:41 AM
1. To make a tag that's rotated to a 45, you might need to make your own custom tag family. It's not hard, you can just edit an existing one.

2. To draw a sloped beam, you've got to use the 'brace' tool within the structural toolset, not the 'beam' tool.

3. The Beams and Columns show as sticks 'cause that's how structural engineers draw them in rough plans. If you change the detail level to 'meduim' or 'fine' they will show as full 3D, not just sticks. Or, again you can make your own beam/column families that always show the way you want. In the long run you might want to do this anyways, 'cause the structural elements within Revit 'hold back' from there endpoints so you can drop in welding or connection symbols, again to match the way a lot of structural engineers work...

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-28, 12:51 AM
Here's a structural framing tag that's altered so Horizontal orientation is really 45 degrees. It's just the label rotated 45 like Jeffrey alludes to.

Braces won't work very well as roof framing because they must be constrained to a work plane and "expect" you to use a framing elevation to place them on gridlines (you can also place a reference plane and name it). You're not going to want 50 reference planes though...

The stock Revit beams are constrained to the reference level they are placed on and can't be rotated afterward.

If you use the roof to define a reference plane at the underside of your roof you can use it as a work plane to place your roof framing...check out Tatlin's post in THIS THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1872&highlight=framing)

barathd
2004-08-28, 02:22 AM
Great help - got me going. My main discipline is structural - believe I know what needs to be done.

Thanks everyone.

Dick Barath

almostfrench
2011-08-15, 05:13 AM
My discipline is structural. I need to show beam tags at 45o angle on Sections / Elevations, but vertical / horizontal on Plan.
Similar thing with column tag but opposite (Horizontal / Vertical on Sections, but at 45o angle on Plan).
Can you help me with this? Thanks very much.

Mike Sealander
2011-08-15, 01:53 PM
Beams have a Start Level Offset and End Level Offset that control slope. However, I use the "snap beam to sloped reference plane" method.
Lastly, stick or single line representations of structural members is a function of the view Detail: Coarse shows stick, Medium and Fine show the physical beam.

Craig_L
2011-08-15, 11:22 PM
The detail level is a function of the family. If you edit the framing family you can set it to show as a normal member even in coarse mode.

The easiest way to place a beam on a slope is to draw a reference plane at the desired slope in a section. Name the reference plane so you can find it (eg. "top of transverse beam grid C to D")
Now go to plan, and set your work plane to "top of transverse beam grid C to D"
Now any beam you place will automatically be on your required slope.

Don't forget to change the work plane back (or to something else) - before you place other beams that don't need to be on slope.

david_peterson
2011-08-16, 05:04 PM
Well we just set up our template so columns in plan are always shown in "High" detail and in elevation are always shown in "High" detail. If you are in a course detail and export your plan to Cad, you'll get single line columns.
You can always adjust the end of a beam via the level offset.
You can also use the 3d snapping option and place them in a 3d view (Not a big fan of this option, can lead to many unintended errors)
If you're trying to do a curved, warped roof, you're going to be out of luck as far as getting it perfect, but you can get close if you follow the method in the link that Steve provided. There are somethings that revit just won't do willingly.