PDA

View Full Version : Default Layers

kadar_drafting
2008-02-21, 12:36 AM
where can i find a file or something i can print out of the default adt2006 layers to compair, copy, modify?

H-Angus
2008-02-21, 12:31 PM
where can i find a file or something i can print out of the default adt2006 layers to compair, copy, modify?

Go to layer manager and click on layer keys to see all layers associated with a particular key. See attached.

You can then select all and copy and paste into Excel to get a printable list.

kadar_drafting
2008-02-21, 05:27 PM
thabk you for that info, but i need to know the phisical location of the file so i can make a copy and set it as my standard.

H-Angus
2008-02-21, 05:40 PM
thabk you for that info, but i need to know the phisical location of the file so i can make a copy and set it as my standard.

Look in options under file location for support file paths.

Also do a search in the help file for Layer Keys.

kadar_drafting
2008-02-21, 07:03 PM
ok. i can trace the file to C/documents and settings/all users/autocad/adt2006/enu/layers.

The issue is when i copy the AecLayerStd.dwg and open it the layers that are displyed under the Style Manager are not present. where are they so i can copy them, add a few of my own, and make them me default standard. this way i can forego defining 250+ layers and asosciated layer keys.

Harold Pei Jr
2008-02-21, 07:32 PM
Does your company have its own templates that you could use? If not, then find a drawing with most of the layers you want, then create the ones that are missing. Then erase everything in the drawing and purge only what you don't need (most likely blocks). You can then save this as a template, and point your CAD to this template file to start your drawings in.

kadar_drafting
2008-02-21, 08:52 PM
Does your company have its own templates that you could use? If not, then find a drawing with most of the layers you want, then create the ones that are missing. Then erase everything in the drawing and purge only what you don't need (most likely blocks). You can then save this as a template, and point your CAD to this template file to start your drawings in.

this is what we are currently doing, however, we want to use the adt/aia default standard layers. this way we will not have to change aec object/detail componet display setings. i dont care what color our dwgs are as we plot in b&w.

kadar_drafting
2008-02-21, 08:56 PM
what i want to do is make a copy of the adt default layer/layer key file (AecLayerStd.dwg, i believe), rename and repath. then add few of our firms layers. i didnt think it would be this dificult, but im a noobe!

mpeterson79
2008-02-22, 03:16 PM
1) Open AecLayerStd.dwg
2) File>Save As>"CompanyTemplate.DWT" (make sure to change the file format)
3) Add the new layers from your firm
4) File>Save
5) File>Close
6) Tools>Options>Files tab
7) Expand Template Settings & Drawing Template File Location
8 ) Under Drawing Template File location, select the existing path, then select the 'Browse' button. Navigate to the folder that you saved "CompanyTemplate.dwt"
9) Under Template Settings, expand "Default Template File Name for QNEW", and select the path under it
10) Click 'Browse' and navigate to the FILE for "CompanyTemplate.dwt"
11) Select Apply, and then OK

Now, what this does is set your software up so that if you select File>New, it will automatically navigate to where your CompanyTemplate.dwt file is stored. Also, if you choose the QNEW (quick new) from the Standard toolbar, it will automatically create a new drawing file using the CompanyTemplate.dwt as the template, with all the layers you created there.

Hopefully that helps.

kadar_drafting
2008-02-22, 05:53 PM
1) Open AecLayerStd.dwg
2) File>Save As>"CompanyTemplate.DWT" (make sure to change the file format)
3) Add the new layers from your firm
4) File>Save
5) File>Close
6) Tools>Options>Files tab
7) Expand Template Settings & Drawing Template File Location
8 ) Under Drawing Template File location, select the existing path, then select the 'Browse' button. Navigate to the folder that you saved "CompanyTemplate.dwt"
9) Under Template Settings, expand "Default Template File Name for QNEW", and select the path under it
10) Click 'Browse' and navigate to the FILE for "CompanyTemplate.dwt"
11) Select Apply, and then OK

Now, what this does is set your software up so that if you select File>New, it will automatically navigate to where your CompanyTemplate.dwt file is stored. Also, if you choose the QNEW (quick new) from the Standard toolbar, it will automatically create a new drawing file using the CompanyTemplate.dwt as the template, with all the layers you created there.

Hopefully that helps.

As I stated above, I have already done this, but when i open the file onlt the Layer Keys are there but not the layers. This is what I am searching for, a .dwg file with the AIA (256 color) layer list. (With all the time this is eating up i could have done this manualy by now, i guess. But I am on a mission now!)

Opie
2008-02-22, 06:15 PM
As I stated above, I have already done this, but when i open the file onlt the Layer Keys are there but not the layers. This is what I am searching for, a .dwg file with the AIA (256 color) layer list. (With all the time this is eating up i could have done this manualy by now, i guess. But I am on a mission now!)
It is probably not in a drawing but more in a data file, which the program uses to create the layers.

I don't have any of the verticals, but is there any way to add additional keys?