PDA

View Full Version : 100 % and waiting

andrewdacosta
2008-02-21, 03:18 PM
I just purchased a Dell T3400 workstation with 4gb 800 mhz ddr2 ECC ram and 512 mb Quadro FX 1700, yet running revit does not seem to be much better than may weaker laptop. I noticed that when revit is redrawing a 3d scene it goes to 100% and stays there for about 15 secs. anyone know how i can configure my system to make revit run better?
Please help!

patricks
2008-02-21, 03:43 PM
What processor is your machine running? What about hard drive speed? I have found that processor (both type and number of cores) and hard drive RPM make the biggest difference when it comes to rendering. Unfortunately that high dollar video card you have really does not make much of a difference in Revit.

My old machine I used to run at my office was an older Pentium 4 processor I believe, with upgraded 3GB ram and nVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 256 MB graphics card.

in 2006 I built a machine at my home using a Pentium D 3.2 GHz dual-core processor, 2GB RAM, a 10,000 RPM hard drive, and an nVIDIA Quadro FX540 128 MB graphics card. Rendering times were substantially faster with this machine than my old office machine.

At the beginning of 2007, I got a new machine at work. This one is a Dell Precision 490 with dual dual-core Intel Xeon processors (4 cores in all), 4GB RAM, 10,000 RPM hard drive, and an nVIDIA Quadro FX550 graphics card. This is pretty much the same 128MB graphics card I have at home, but with dual DVI outputs (the one at home has a DVI and a VGA output). Even with the somewhat "downgraded" FX550 card compared to my previous FX3500 card, rendering times are much faster than my home machine, and completely destroy the times from my old office machine.