PDA

View Full Version : elliptical solid on a radius

tomcarver
2008-02-22, 02:21 PM
I am enclosing a dwg file of what I would like to do. (r08) We have a piece of trim in the shape of an ellipse. This piece of trim needs to fit on a radiused wall.
Any help would be appreciated.

Tom G. in NC

seant61
2008-02-23, 10:42 AM
This would be the general steps for ver. 2004. The Loft command in 2008 may speed up the process.

1. Expand the solids to allow a complete intersection. Perform either SolidEdit – Body - Imprint, followed by Edge - Copy, or, Boolean Intersection – Explode – Explode.

2. I had to convert the poly to a 3dPline to use as a Path for the Extrude command. 2008 Lofts may be able to use the splines direct.

arshiel88
2008-02-23, 01:00 PM
I made a wish for a BEND command but I think it didn't go through. This could be easily done by that command. The idea is to make the model in a straight form including everything and bend it later with exact parameters. This is always a problem for us doing curved arches. I usually make a copy of the curved wall, offset its faces by the thickness of the arch (in your case the part of the ellipse), then I extrude the arch profile by any thickness more than the wall, and finally, I INTERSECT the two solids.

MikeRobinson
2008-02-28, 08:59 AM
I am enclosing a dwg file of what I would like to do. (r08) We have a piece of trim in the shape of an ellipse. This piece of trim needs to fit on a radiused wall.
Any help would be appreciated.

Tom G. in NC

I have attached a file showing what I think you require.
I must say I have cheated by downscaling the trim length!
I then made the trim much thicker and placed it half into the wall.
I then copied the wall twice placing one wall in front of the trim - Then subtracted both walls from the trim to give the curved shape.

Regards

Mike.