PDA

View Full Version : Sweep to follow a gable

tonyisenhoff
2004-08-28, 09:41 PM
What's the best method for sweeping along a horizontal wall, then turn a corner, the go up a gable?

I can do it with an in-place family (sweep), but the profile doesn't stay plumb to the wall when you turn the corner... See Sweep 4.jpg

beegee
2004-08-28, 11:25 PM
Try using the "PIck Path" option for the sweep .

PeterJ
2004-08-29, 10:16 AM
What's the best method for sweeping along a horizontal wall, then turn a corner, the go up a gable?

I can do it with an in-place family (sweep), but the profile doesn't stay plumb to the wall when you turn the corner... See Sweep 4.jpg
The fascia tool does not need to form a fascia per se. If the eaves and verge overhangs are the same then you could use it in this instance just by playing with the offsets.

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-03, 03:00 PM
Try using the "PIck Path" option for the sweep .

This doesn't appear to work for me...

I created an in-place family (Sweep), used "Pick Path" and pick around my sample building. I had to trim around the corners because using pick path doesn't form a closed loop. I then used a preloaded profile. Don't get the results I want...

I've attached the actual file.

Thanks!

chukarov
2004-09-03, 04:18 PM
Have a closer look at the corner. It's like in reality no carpenter will be able to turn the corner with a cove molding without going horizontally first then up the gable.

adegnan
2004-09-03, 04:34 PM
Have a closer look at the corner. It's like in reality no carpenter will be able to turn the corner with a cove molding without going horizontally first then up the gable.
I'll second that. A tiny horizontal piece is necessary in real life, even if the top of the horizontal piece is nothing but a wedge. This is a common issue in carpentry that is overlooked in our process here. Without a horizontal piece the miter will have to be fudged and will not be accurate.

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-03, 04:36 PM
Thanks - I will give that a try...