PDA

View Full Version : Wall development approach

ron.sanpedro
2008-02-22, 06:04 PM
In the included image, the main wall is a long two story wall, which will have two of the bump-outs. As I see it there are two approaches to this wall. I can have one single double height wall, with the 'holes' addressed via Edit Profile. Or I can have a segment of single floor wall on either side of the bump-out. And two more segments on the floor above, plus a 'header' segment above the bump-out. At two bump-outs on this single face, that is eight little pieces of wall rather than one wall with two 'profile edits'. Also, I have three wall types here. The main wall includes both exterior and interior finishes. Then there is an 'Exterior Bump-out' type that needs to cleanup with the exterior finishes, and an 'Interior Bump-out' that needs to cleanup with the interior finishes at the hole. This part seems to not work well with the single wall/edited profile approach.
I am wondering what people's experience has been with these two approaches, especially vis-a-vis a newly minted Revit team and a fast track schedule. Simplicity seems like a good idea, but lots of Profile Edits seems like a bad idea. And not getting good wall cleanups is a bummer.
For what it is worth, there will be three or four bump-outs on each of three buildings in the one model. but never more than two bump-outs on a single wall.

Thanks for any insight.
Gordon

christo4robin
2008-02-22, 07:19 PM
I'd skip the profile edits and go with the different wall segments. More pieces, but also more obvious in terms of technique.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-02-22, 08:34 PM
It looks as though the bump out will be consistent in size, location etc so I'd probably model the bump out complete including the infill piece that aligns with the back wall. Group it and copy it to wherever it occurs. The main wall would stop and start at the columns and it would all clean up on its own if grouped.