PDA

View Full Version : Revit, SketchUp and the API

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-08-29, 10:37 PM
This thread just popped up on the SketchUp forum.

http://sketchup.com/forum/read.php?f=4&i=30619&t=30619

Ignore the Revit vs. ArchiCAD debate (a dead issue as we Revit users know :wink: ) What struck me was the comment about an API being available.
Am I missing something, is this guy misinterpreting what Revit does offer in terms of hooks through ODBC or is he violating some non disclosure agreement about R7?
Just wondering.

beegee
2004-08-29, 10:41 PM
I'd say yes and no. :lol:

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-08-30, 01:18 AM
Thanks Beegee, that clears it up for me :???:Let me ask you this... should my next post on the Sketchup forum give this guy a hard time about being wrong?

beegee
2004-08-30, 01:27 AM
Sorry for my flippant response D, ... I was actually saying yes, he is misinterpreting what Revit does offer in terms of hooks through ODBC , and no , I doubt he is violating an NDA as such.

There is no API now of course as we all know. With the advent of Structural and Services packages for Revit, some form of API will no doubt be there, but I would think not an fully open one. ( ie it will probably be available only to approved developers.) Of course this is just my speculation.

Vincent Valentijn
2004-08-30, 10:07 AM
( ie it will probably be available only to approved developers.) Of course this is just my speculation.

I even doubt that 'true' API is there for approved developers yet, or.. at least it seems extremely hard to get development approved. We're Autodesk Developer Network members, we requested assistance on developing a specific module for Revit but.. we didn't get any acces or assistance above the 'normal' functionality of Revit [they did help us in suggesting ways to use Revit for our goals without true API though.. I got the impression that the Revit crew is very very willing to help if possible, but that possiblities are restricted for them too, probably a policy thing?]

Marek Brandstatter
2004-08-30, 12:49 PM
Vincent, I suspect that Beegee is 'speculating' that some form of general API will follow close on the heels of Revit Structural/MEP. Hope he's right.

Vincent Valentijn
2004-08-30, 02:33 PM
Marek,
:) I sure do too.. structural/MEP would be very nice too [though I don't think I'd use it much in my current job]

BillyGrey
2004-08-30, 04:43 PM
Revit....just mentioning that word flip's some people out....

Must be strikin a nerve or two :)

barathd
2004-08-30, 04:58 PM
Why did Autodesk drop "Architectural Studio" could it have some to do with S ... ... p - who knows?

Scott D Davis
2004-08-30, 05:03 PM
Rumors say that the 'handshake' between Revit and SketchUp could be in the works. Who knows if and when it will happen. The two groups definately have chatted on occassion, and admire each other's work!

barathd
2004-08-30, 05:13 PM
Scott:

Stranger things have happened ... ... Autodesk buying Revit ... ... is just one.

Scott D Davis
2004-08-30, 05:32 PM
More strange would have been if RTC (pre-aquisition) would have taken up Graphisoft's request to be aquired....