PDA

View Full Version : Can Lights on an arched ceiling...

victoria
2008-02-26, 04:59 PM
How would I go about putting can lights on an arched area of the cieling. I am having a hrad time. I don't know how to remove constraints from the can lights, or get the can lights to recognize my ceiling mass as a ceiling. Please help!!!

sbrown
2008-02-26, 08:12 PM
You will have to make NON ceiling hosted light families that you can place individually then in section or elevation move them up/down as needed. I don't know if you can actually get them to follow the curve though.

cphubb
2008-02-26, 08:50 PM
When you said 'can' I assume these are recessed lights.
First make you mass a "Ceiling" by editing the family and changing the category. Next create a new light fixture ceiling hosted and delete the opening portion of the family. Create a new round, (or whatever shape your light is) void and use it to cut the ceiling. Finally in the Family Categories and PArametes check "Always Vertical" and your light will cut the ceiling and ver vertical.

Based on your question, I think that should make a workable family

nole
2008-02-27, 08:34 PM
Hi there!
You can try this:
1. Маке аn arched generic model (inplace family), extruded profile in vertical plane I suppose;
2. Than turn it into ceiling through Settings>Family Category and Parameters;
3. Finish creating inplace family;
4. Load from library say Downlight - Recessed Can.rfa;
5. Put it into the arched ceiling-your inplace family (light fixture will be perpendicular to the ceiling);
6. Select the light and open it for editing;
7. In Family Category and Parameters check Always Vertical, save and reload it into project;
8. Downlight - Recessed Can should be vertical;
9. Use it again and again and again ... ;)