PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about drafting views.

Kroke
2004-08-30, 06:57 AM
Along the way of building a template over the months, I have several details I use on every single project (like typical foundation details, etc.)

Is there a way that I can export/save my drafting sheet(s) out so that I may load them up into my new projects?

How are you guys doing this?

TIA!

Martin P
2004-08-30, 07:12 AM
We have a completely separate template file for details, all different drafting views with the details on them named something meaningful - and cut and paste into the project as required. Referencing them in would be nice though, if we could do that in 7.0. (ie xref details without linking to a DWG)

I also have things like spiral stairs and L shaped stairs with kite treads modelled in this template. This seemed like the only solution to us at the moment.... other than using autocad and having a detail library with the files linked in...

Kroke
2004-08-31, 05:13 AM
Bahhh... :(

Ok, thanks for the reply....

dazza163968596
2004-08-31, 07:37 AM
Group the detail, save the detail with a recognisable name, load the group into your new projects and place the group in a new drafting view or over a callout view and turn the model visability off in the callout

Kroke
2004-09-01, 02:32 AM
Dazza, how do I save the 'group'?
tia

beegee
2004-09-01, 03:08 AM
Hi Kroke,

Choose Save Group from the File menu.
If your project has multiple groups, choose the appropriate group from the Group to Save drop-down menu.
By default the file name text box reads, "Same as group name." If you accept this name, Autodesk Revit saves the .rvg file with the same name as the group. So a group called Group 5 saves as Group 5.rvg. If desired, you can overwrite this name.
Click Save.
You cannot open a .rvg file directly. They can only be opened using the Load Group command.

Nested Groups cannot be saved

PeterJ
2004-09-01, 05:00 AM
I use this method, saved groups, do bear in mind that Explorer doesn't seem to recognse groups and produce thumbnails or pretty icons so you do need to make sure your names are very clear.

Kroke
2004-09-02, 09:13 PM
Excellent, thanks guys! I missed that in the dropdown evidently. Oops. :)