PDA

View Full Version : Wall Type Sheet

KGC
2008-02-26, 09:41 PM
What is the best way to setup a wall type sheet.

A floor plan view with all the walls sitting there and then sections cutting them up?

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-26, 09:59 PM
A Legend View is the "actual method" as it doesnt place any items "in the model" per se, but it lets you use the actual Wall Types.

Huge shortcomings being that you cant tag them, and you cannot dimension them.

For this reason, we do something similar to what you describe: A Floor plan callout with the walls sitting there. Just realize the repercussions of doing this: They are IN your model. If youre heading this route, i would make an additional phase at the end of the project, and have it happen after the phases of your project, so it wont affect schedules and drawings.

KGC
2008-02-26, 10:08 PM
I was doing some research on this, and that seems to be the consensus for this.

Not being able to Dim or Tag vs. Walls being IN the model

But i am not 100% aware of what that means, what are the cons of having the plan that is IN the model.

Thanks,

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-26, 10:12 PM
In short, when we worked in AutoCAD, there was a mentality that in "Model Space" we could drop stuff all over the place, for whatever needs we had.

Now, its more than just a "space" to work in, its a live updating database. If you place walls in a far off corner for a wall or partition schedule, and then decide to do a wall schedule to find out how much of a certain wall type youve used, its going to count those walls.

If you place a dor in one of those walls, to show a door legend, then that door is going to be present in your door schedule, becuase its an *actual door* in the model. Items in Legends arent actually "happening" in the project, theyre just a graphical representation, hence "Legend."

Now, creating an additional phased AFTER your project happens, means that they wont schedule, as long as your schedule is set to happen in the PROJECT phase, and not in the phase after.

Make sense?

KGC
2008-02-26, 10:18 PM
Thats what i thought you were getting at. just wanted to make sure i understand completely.

Thanks,

Kenton