PDA

View Full Version : Structural/MEP ???

barathd
2004-08-30, 03:00 PM
Could some fill me in what all the chatter is all about - what exactly is "structural/mep?" I know of course everyone "knows nothing and is bound by an NDA". What is public and what is not? Saw something awhile back where whoever was in charge of the Structural development component asked someone to contact him directly for some clarification as to what was happening. This is worse than the CIA - black is white or no it isn't. Brings back memories of the Autodesk buyout and all the denials.

Regards

Dick Barath

ilya.bass
2004-08-30, 03:15 PM
This is worse than the CIA - black is white or no it isn't. Brings back memories of the Autodesk buyout and all the denials.

we could tell you, but then of course would have to kill you :-).

Seriously speaking, the reasons for not disclosing this information have to do with the revenue recognition rules. If you knew what functions become available when, you could make your buying decisions based on this info, which means that the revenue may not be recognized by Autodesk until those functions actually come out.

barathd
2004-08-30, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Kind sounds like only Martha and Carol can share recipes. By the way Iya your response was the most honest I have ever heard. Sounds like "hint at the world" entice everyone to buy "right now" ante in and stay around until the goods are delivered or not." How many MBA's thought this one up.

MikeJarosz
2004-08-30, 04:03 PM
It wouldn't be much of a BIM product without Structural/MEP would it? If they are serious about the BIM goal, Revit developers probably have a long term plan to include it.

Nevertheless, they're not gonna announce anything before they're sure it works.You don't want vaporware, do you? Only Microsoft gets away with that.

MJ

hand471037
2004-08-30, 04:33 PM
Dick, I've heard rumors of both a structural package, and a MEP package, and have even heard rumors that they are quite impressive even in these early stages; but as to when they will be released or even what they will consist of is totally unknown by anyone outside of Autodesk (even as a reseller I never had access to this info), and it can't really be talked about by Autodesk for both legal and business reasons.

It sucks, yes. But that's the deal with commercial software anyways- you're only paying for permission to use the tools, and nothing more, ever. You're always a sharecropper, and as long as you always keep that in mind, you'll stay sane. ;-)

barathd
2004-08-30, 04:45 PM
All I would like to hear is this from Revit "significant improvements in structural design can be expected in REVIT 7". I can't see how this breaks any laws or will cause any pandemonium in the markets.

Tom Weir
2004-08-30, 07:31 PM
Without spilling any beans I can say that is true....expect some nice enhancements.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

barathd
2004-08-30, 08:19 PM
Got my answer - thank you.

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-31, 05:39 AM
Disclosing new features too early means that Autodesk's money could come too late... from what I understand about these things. Usually firms are too early with revenue recognition, which is quite illegal in the USA (and elsewhere, I'm sure).

It turns out that we need lawyers after all. Who would create the boilerplate?

crogersak
2004-08-31, 09:26 PM
No one mentioned this little fact..If you buy Revit, you get subscription, with subscription you will get Revit 7 more than likely.

Just my two cents....

Charles

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-31, 09:50 PM
...you will get Revit 7 more than likely... Not more than likely...definitely...

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-01, 02:55 AM
Subscription's worth for some Autodesk products is debatable in my mind. I can't think of a release of AutoCAD or ADT or ABS that didn't have worthwhile improvements, but implementing the changes was like changing the tires on a moving car. Too much, too often. For Revit subscription really makes sense. In fact, you're a fool not to have it. The fixes during the year, new features added... worth the 1 large of Candian loonies to keep each seat up to date. (So say I, who has never had to pay for software directly.)