PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Revit startup problem

patricks
2008-02-28, 05:33 PM
Instead of clicking on a shortcut that points to the normal Revit.exe file, I use a shortcut pointing to a very small Revit project file, containing only a drafting view with my company's logo, kind of like a "splash" screen. I find that Revit starts up faster this way since it's not loading our standard ~7MB project template, but the standard template still loads when you click on the New button in Revit.

So anyway, I have noticed that every time the computer is shut off and/or rebooted, the first time I click on the Revit startup file, I get an error message. This file is located in My Documents on my local machine, but for some reason Revit can't seem to find the file the first time it starts after the computer reboots. It's no big deal that the startup file doesn't come up, but for some reason Revit also thinks there is no license available and then runs in Demo mode.

So I have to close Revit, and then start it up a second time. Again, I click on the shortcut to the small startup file on my local machine, and this time everything comes up just fine, and the license is there and shows as non-expiring.

So again, this problem only happens the first time I click on the shortcut to the startup file after the computer boots up. Anyone have an idea?

jmctamney
2008-02-28, 05:49 PM
I have this happen a lot when trying to open a Revit file from windows explorer. It got too annoying so I just started opening Revit first, then my model.

shkuv
2008-02-28, 06:55 PM
Do you have the latest build of RAC downloaded? If not, try doing that. I had that problem in the past as well, but haven't had it happen since I've updated.

patricks
2008-02-28, 07:23 PM
yep, running the latest Jan 1 2008 SP3 update.

Fred Blome
2008-02-28, 08:52 PM
I work around this issue by having a stripped down default template that Revit.exe uses to start up with. The only thing in the template file is the company name to act as a splash screen. The down side is that starting a new project takes a couple of extra steps to select the real template file.

mlgatzke
2008-03-01, 02:55 AM
I just set Revit to a default template file in a location where one doesn't exist. Then, when Revit loads, it comes up quickly and errors out saying that it cannot find the default template. I just click on OK, then go about my business. The error dialog is no big deal if you know it's coming and, after all, you don't start a new project very often. You mostly need to get in a continue working on a project that alreay exists.

Scott D Davis
2008-03-01, 05:08 AM
All this changes in 2009....Revit no longer starts with a template. It starts with a Startup Screen with access to previously opened files, or you have options for New, or Browse.

SCShell
2008-03-01, 02:35 PM
All this changes in 2009....Revit no longer starts with a template. It starts with a Startup Screen with access to previously opened files, or you have options for New, or Browse.
That will be nice!
Thanks Scott!
Steve

patricks
2008-03-03, 01:42 PM
I just set Revit to a default template file in a location where one doesn't exist. Then, when Revit loads, it comes up quickly and errors out saying that it cannot find the default template. I just click on OK, then go about my business. The error dialog is no big deal if you know it's coming and, after all, you don't start a new project very often. You mostly need to get in a continue working on a project that alreay exists.

So when you do that, Revit still comes up in non-expiring licensed mode?

Yeah that new startup feature on RAC2009 will be nice. Hopefully it will load quickly.