PDA

View Full Version : My car won't tilt.

beegee
2003-07-24, 07:36 AM
No really, I,m not joking.

Its a brand new P406, straight out of the family showroom, never been driven etc.
I parking it on a sloping driveway and it buried itself in the concrete ! Well you can laugh, but then I opened it up ( in the family I mean) and unchecked the "always vertical" box, and reloaded it. Then gave it a good hard >Rotate command, but it just refuses to budge ! Gives me the message "Can't rotate element into this position "
I knew I should have got a VW instead!

Maybe I should call the RACQ ?

beegee

sbrown
2003-07-24, 01:43 PM
You can't manualy rotate it, it will automatically slope when placed on a toposurface. so you need to create a toposurf for you car to sit on, if you've placed the car 1st then you may need to pick the car and set host button and pick the surface.

Wes Macaulay
2003-07-24, 01:45 PM
If it's in the "Site" category (which I imagine it would be) then it should hug the topo automatically...

beegee
2003-07-25, 01:53 AM
Thanks Scott and Wes ,

The P406 was in the Entourage category, but once I demolished my new concrete driveway and replaced it with a topo surface , it was quite happy to sit on that when told that was the host.

Sooo, cars cannot be placed on foor slabs that tilt, right ? Thats going to make my next multi-storey parking station project really difficult. :shock: ( No, I don't want to model all the floors as topo :) )

beegee

jacob chavez
2003-07-25, 03:37 AM
Can't you copy the car into a generic floor based family? It should hug any floor that you create then.

beegee
2003-07-25, 05:05 AM
Can't you copy the car into a generic floor based family? It should hug any floor that you create then.

I find your idea strangely and intriguing interesting , Jacob. I'll certainly look into that. ( The idea of a car in a floor based family did not occur to me :o Maybe I should be using an "all terrain" vehicle :lol: )

beegee

Dean Camlin
2003-08-11, 08:09 PM
beegee, I had this same thing happen to my cars & thankfully remembered this thread (enough to find it in a search, anyway--thanks again, Z, for designing such a good site).

Anyway, my cars were digging themselves into the driveway topo too; or, if I elevated them slightly so they didn't look like they had a flat tire (you have to jack up the car to change the tire, right?), then the other wheels were off the pavement.

The solution is to open each car family, go into settings > family category and parameters ... then make sure the "always vertical" checkbox is cleared. Then your car should tilt with the slope.

[edit :oops: I just reread your first post & that's what you already did. I wonder why the default car families are set to be always vertical?]