PDA

View Full Version : wall joins making me crazy; putting me way off schedule

shenderson
2008-02-29, 05:35 PM
can we PLEASE just join the wall components ourselves rather than have the computer ramble on thru a bunch of rediculous options. we've wasted tons of time trying to get walls to join right on several projects now. i'm trying to DESIGN not let the computer design for me. i can show revit what meets with what in about 2 seconds but i've just spent 2 hours on one freaking joint and it's still not right. i now i'll get responses saying your not having issues but we haven't had a project yet that didn't have this problem.

i've got an existing gothic revival house that we are doing an addition to so the geometry gets a bit complex. i have walls that are all identical ( one floor, same limits and controls )and they won't join correctly for anything. i've found that if i need to bump the wall out 8" and the wall is thicker than eight inches, revit just chokes on the joining the wall correctly.

Matt H
2008-02-29, 05:53 PM
I know the PERFECT little thread for you to read.... Hold on let me find it, and i'll repost!

Link:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=74734

Its all about palasters, but for bump-out walls, it works perfect. Let me know if it helped ya!

shenderson
2008-02-29, 08:41 PM
thanks.

i've watched the video and read thru the thread.

it works sometimes but when an interior wall meets at the same intersection it still freaks out. and when i work on the other end of the wall the previous joint reverts. sometimes it just goes back after i save or re-open the file... what am i supposed to do, fix all the joint's every time i print. visualization is one thing but we are producing legal documents here with a lot of liability involved. I WANT CONTROL OF THE WAY MY WALLS COME TOGETHER!

i don't know why they don't just let us have access to the wall components in the joints both in plan and section. in my mind it would work like this....

1. pick the wall join button
2. click the walls that are involved in the joint (don't let the machine try and find the joint - this can be a pain as well)
3. let us use the trim and slice commands to detail the joint ourselves, we are architects afterall.
4. when you've got the gyp and sheathing and veneer doing what you want - finish the sketch or un-toggle the wall join button - done. no cover up drafting needed. and the joint needs to stay that way unless i re-design it.

how hard can it be to give us that access? each component is a wall in itself.
in section you can extend part of the wall so limited access is at least possible. although you should be able to extend any part of the wall to any length - example brick one length and sheathing another).

mruehr
2008-03-01, 07:04 AM
can you show a typical wall joint that is offending
we often use sheeting as separate walls in complex situations
but maybe our stuff is more simple
well i never had that much trouble
But i would love if we could unlock the wall element layers in
Plan as we can in Section

Scott D Davis
2008-03-01, 05:27 PM
Have you tried Edit Cut Profile? I think it works much the way you are thinking.....This allows you in those conditions where you can't get joins to show the way you want, to select a layer of the material in the wall and then sketch the shape you want it to be. Finish the Sketch and that wall layer will fill the shape you sketched. You can select to modify the face of the material, or edit the boundary between two materials

shenderson
2008-03-03, 04:47 PM
Have you tried Edit Cut Profile? I think it works much the way you are thinking.....This allows you in those conditions where you can't get joins to show the way you want, to select a layer of the material in the wall and then sketch the shape you want it to be. Finish the Sketch and that wall layer will fill the shape you sketched. You can select to modify the face of the material, or edit the boundary between two materials

thank you (A TON). that is what i'm talking about!

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-03-03, 05:06 PM
Also keep in mind that if the edits are the same in more than one location you can copy>paste the boundaries defining the cut profile from one view to another to save time.

Matt H
2008-03-03, 05:54 PM

I don't get it... "Edit Cut Profile"?? Where/what is that?

Edit: never mind... wow the help menu really works well. hahaha

Scott D Davis
2008-03-03, 08:00 PM
Here's a capture of the toolbar for anyone else that might read this thread. Edit Cut Profile is located in the Toolbar at the icon identified.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-03-03, 08:14 PM
Also on the Tools menu

rozamalek
2008-03-04, 11:19 PM
Edit Cut profile can not be located inside a group and it is not working inside the group editor.

Matt H
2008-03-04, 11:20 PM
Edit Cut profile can not be located inside a group and it is not working inside the group editor.

I noticed that too....

Wes Macaulay
2008-05-23, 04:16 AM
Wait a second everyone... what needs to happen here is that one wall probably needs to have its join disabled -- see the attached PDF.

It's called "more on wall joins" because it's follow up to an earlier e-mail I sent around in my office.

Chad Smith
2008-05-23, 04:50 AM
Nice PDF Wes. I had no idea you could cleanup a wall end that has it's end join disallowed by using the Join Geometry tool (the bottom left caption in your example).
Would be a good one for the Tips and Tricks forum.