PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Lobby

Steve_Bennett
2008-03-07, 05:52 AM
Well, I finally got the revit model from my boss that had been done of our office. We moved into this place around July of 2007. I finally got around to doing a design viz model of it based on the revit model I exported via fbx and brought into beta max design 2009. The revit model had no materials applied so it was up to me to build all of them, plus setup lighting. I attached a picture I took for reference and the image I stopped with today. I've spent about 10-12 hours working on this (extra modeling, materials and lighting) so far not including rendering.

I am completely stumped now. In looking at what I have so far, the colors seem flat and dull whereas the ref. image has the colors poping. I haven't photoshopped either image. If anyone has a suggestion on how I can make the colors richer, I'd really appreciate it! :beer:

stusic
2008-03-07, 04:07 PM
Do the colors show up correctly when you render to your viewport? I'm wondering if it's an issue stemming from the output format...

dellis
2008-03-07, 10:01 PM
Steve,

You have to adjust the reflectivity of your materials. Specifically you need to take a look at your BRDF settings. The problem that you're having is that light is bouncing off objects and continuing on and hitting other objects when it shouldn't...which in effect is washing out your image. If you look at the wall surface in your photo you will see that the level of glossiness is dramatically different then the rendering...which means that the light coming through the window, and from anywhere else in the scene, and is going to hit that wall and carry some of the color/energy to the next object. Same thing goes for the floor. Look how far the reflections of the vertical supports for the desk go before they trail off in the photo compared to the rendering.

Generally you want to:

-match the colours (as close as possible) to the real world
-match the lighting elements (physical lights and sunlight)-location and intensity) to the real world
-match the material properties (particularly the reflectance-amount and how it happens.

Its a good image and i think only needs some minor tweaking.

Oh yeah..and if you want the nice glow from that window to show up...put a Glare(Lume) shader in the ouptut channel for you Camera Shader in the rendering dialogue.

stusic
2008-03-08, 02:35 AM
Haha, well I was completely barking up the wrong tree... :roll:

There was a scene I had a long time a go that was doing that and I never got it fixed... now I should go dig it up.

Steve_Bennett
2008-03-10, 05:43 AM
Holy moly you describe BRDF so much better than the help system. It brought up BRDF as controlling reflectivity but I failed to grasp the connection to color. Now that you point it out that makes so much more sense. I will have to play around with that this week if I have a chance. Thank you! :beer:

I had put a glare on the output channel for the camera but the scene became even more washed out than what it is in this current pic. Once I get the materials back under control I'll have a play with the glare again.

dellis
2008-03-10, 02:40 PM
Yeah....i never really understood why the programmers use words like Bi-Directional Reflectance Distribution Function. I know thats what it is but wouldn't it just be easy to have a rollout that is named...how stuff reflects.;)

As far as the Glare shader goes...all you need to do is open the render dialogue and the material editor side by side and then just drag the Glare shader into an empty material slot. Then you can make adjustments to the size of the bloom...and add star stuff too.

Post back results and any questions.

Steve_Bennett
2008-03-14, 05:54 AM
Post back results and any questions.
Man those materials were kicking my butt the other day. I felt like i was ready to throw max out the window. So... I tried a different approach. I switched everything to ProMaterials (PM) from arch+design. There are a couple arch+design materials left but for the most part all are using the new materials. PM give a little less control over things like brdf but they figure a lot of stuff out for you. A gentleman in the beta forums posted an image he did with PM on the bathroom you built to run off of vray. It looked stunning - as good as the one from vray and he only made minor tweaks. He shared, I poked around at the changes and followed suit in my materials and presto - beautifulness!

Another thing I started poking around on was the color of the light and sure enough that was the other ticket. Once I moved the spectrum of light slightly to the warmer side (a yellowish/pinkish sorts) for my sky portals the scene did an almost perfect match to the photo. See attached! Now just need to add some finer details like molding, duct work, lights, etc.

dellis
2008-03-14, 02:06 PM
Much, much, much better! That looks great Steve!

Yeah....Jeff did a good job of switching that scene over to MR....although....him and Zap are the MR masters so its to be expected. I'm going to have a go at it this weekend. I'm going to ask Ken if he wants to include that scene in the install...once its completely setup in MR i mean.

keep up the good work....

Steve_Bennett
2008-03-15, 04:43 PM
Thanks Dwayne! I have to say I feel much better about using mr now that I went through that ordeal. :beer:

stusic
2008-03-15, 05:12 PM
Thanks Dwayne! I have to say I feel much better about using mr now that I went through that ordeal. :beer:

You should, this scene looks great. :beer: