PDA

View Full Version : Shared Coordinate troubles

ron.sanpedro
2008-03-09, 06:41 PM
I have two, possibly related, Shared Coordinates problems.

1: I have 5 different Building models, each with Project Origin at the A/1 grid intersection, upper left corner of the building (verified by linking in a DWG origin to origin that is just a big X at 0,0). Project elevation is 100' at Level 1. I then have a site with a known Origin, and a single Plaza Level, at 73'. I have linked in and located all the Building models, both grid and elevation. I then Publish Coordinates. But when I go back to a Building file, I don't see a change in Shared Elevation. And if I link the Site in by Shared Coordinates I get an Error 'The document and the imported instance do not share the same coordinate system. Default center-to-center positioning used.' But Center to Center is not getting used, Origin to Origin is, as indicated by the relationship of building grids to site grids.

And 2: I am now getting an error when I try to save the Site file. Revit is telling me that two of my Building files 'cannot be saved because it has changes in more than just shared coordinates and therefore can invalidate Local Files owned by you.' But nothing has changed in any file, they are all fresh new Central files yesterday, with just the linking work done after that. Nor do I really understand what the message is saying.

All the files where started from an office template of somewhat unknown providence, so perhaps there is some Shared Coordinate Reset process I need to do to make this all work?

EDIT
So I just discovered a few things. The Site Model had some discrepancies between Project and Shared Origin, so I used Specify Coordinates to get Project and Shared to match up in the Site. Basically I want the Project 0,0 and Shared 0,0 to be the same in the Site. However, Specify doesn't seem to do what I want. I Specify a particular Grid as at 0 NS, and then a Report right after shows something else entirely. This seems to conflict with the Help File, which explains using Specify Coordinates just as I have done.
At this point I have removed all links, and I just want to get my Origin Grids to report the correct (0,0) shared coordinates. And given that my grids are at the right Project Origin, Relocate Project doesn't seem to be the right choice, as I then need a "destination" point, which I don't currently have.

EDIT #2:
So I referenced in my little Origin DWG and used that to acquire my Shared Coordinates, and it worked. I then linked in a Revit file, moved it around, then under Element Properties of the Link, I went to Shared Location, and Recorded the current position. In the case of my two problem children, I had to do the Acquire trick in the Building models, then link them into the Site model, move them and push the new Shared Coordinates back. Messy process, but I think I finally have six files that work together right. Sigh.

Thanks in advance.
Gordon

DaveP
2008-03-10, 06:55 PM
Gordon, have you seen this thread?
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=71881&highlight=linked+file+cannot+saved+because+changes+more+than+just+shared+coordinates
Jay Holland has a pretty nice description of what's going on.