PDA

View Full Version : AU 2008 - Class Suggestions

sbrown
2008-03-10, 01:22 PM
I would like to solicite the opinions of this group as to what type of class you would most like seen taught at AU. This is for my personal use only. I would like to submit a class that would be of value to intermediate-advanced users. I'm at a lose for topics to submit.
So any ideas would be helpful.

Lab or Lecture

Content:
Modelling
Documentation
Rendering(2009)
Residential
Commercial
Scheduling

Thanks,
Scott

Carlos GT
2008-03-10, 02:31 PM
If Documentation suggest "Construction Documents", I would say yes to this topic. It is hard to find a very good example or explanation of how to put together a set of plans on Revit, most of the things we find separately in differents sites or classes (dimensioning, elevations, roof plans, framing plans, etc).
It would good, for example to learn how to show a foudation plan, showing just the footing, plumbing fixtures and notes; or a roof plan showing the roof framing, or a electrical plan showing the lighting fixtures in the ceiling. By the way this last issue I just find it in the forum discussion today, very interesting.
I personally figure, and I still trying until now, all those things after searching differents sites and classes for a period of 3 months. I remenber when I start playing with Revit, one of the first things I asked myself was, OK, this program is awesome, now, how can I make this program work the way I want?

Good luck in your class Scott.

gwnelson
2008-03-10, 02:38 PM
What about some "out of the box" thinking? Like using a ______ to make a _____?

Also, as a basic thought, I'd like to see the sessions longer, maybe rolling two periods into one?

SCShell
2008-03-10, 03:09 PM
Hey Scott,

Nice thread. I will think about it; however, the one thing that really pops into my head is to make it a "Lecture" vs a "Lab". There is not enough seating available for Labs (as last year proved and I am sure will be even worse next year.). In a Lecture, there is more seating and a lot more people will benefit from whatever you have to teach us! Personally, I think that I get more out of a good lecture than trying to "learn and do" simultaneously in a Lab.

My 1 cent. (I owe you another cent).
Steve

sbrown
2008-03-10, 09:32 PM
I did a lab last year and found that even though it was advertised as advanced, many beginners showed up and couldn't follow so it made it very difficult to teach.(maybe my issue too).

Please keep the ideas coming.

As for CD's in Revit that is something that I've wanted to teach, but it would take the whole week. So I need something I can cover in a 3.5hour lab/lecture.

raddis
2008-03-11, 12:37 AM
Actually.....
anything that Scott doesn't take, I will look at doing, if that's not cheating. What do you think Scott? Rather than have 15 threads like this.

I did an Intro to Curtain Walls last year and was thinking of expanding that to a more intermediate/advanced class, with some more complex panel families.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming. I'm sure there are more speakers "lurking" out there.

BomberAIA
2008-03-11, 12:02 PM
Scott:
I would think there are a lot of firms interested in grouping repetitive units similar to hospitality & multifamily. Should you link units or building types or produce all types in one file?

sbrown
2008-03-11, 05:21 PM
I would love to take a class on repeating units myself. Its the area that is still most painful in Revit. So yes that would be a great class. Maybe I'll tackle it. Maybe I can take one of our on the board jobs and look at a best practices class. I would definately like to team up with someone with experience in this. I have one way to do it, but I don't claim its the best.

tc3dcad60731
2008-03-12, 02:59 AM
More detailed classes (lab) on documentation procedures / methods, good in-depth class on scheduling and even one on Rendering. What would draw me in would be topic specific classes that are DETAILED and not a gloss over. I have enough of that with the books and tutorials. Other topics might be....

Creating and editing walkthroughs (took me awhile to muddle through this)
Formula creation and Parameters
Phases / Design Options beyond the basics

I am sure more will come to me later it has been a long day.

sbrown
2008-03-12, 12:35 PM
If I teach again this year it will be detailed. Did you by anychance take my lab last year. I think it was advanced and got comments to the affect. So in thinking of excersises I could do in a lab format are there any specific areas of Construction Documents that you or others are struggling with or is it the process.

I could potentially demonstrate the CD process I use on a small building in 3.5 hours, but don't think I could do it in a lab due to the speed at which I would have to present the material. So what would be the top 5 cd level "vignettes" I could do that would be of benefit to most intermediate to advanced revit users?