PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcut for "esc"

WolffG
2008-03-10, 03:52 PM
I am trying to program one of the mouse buttons on my MS mouse for the "escape" key, since I use the mouse almost exclusively and use the escape key fairly often.

I guess I'm not quite old enough to have gotten used to keyboard commands in the stone age versions of Autocad)

Unfortunately, MS doesn't offer a direct assignment for that command.

MS requires a combination of either the ctr, alt or shift key plus another key for custom commands. I have tried to modify the keyboard shortcuts file to add a shortcut for "esc", but have not been able to hit the right combination.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

dgreen.49364
2008-03-10, 06:48 PM
I'm not trying to be a wise guy...but...what would be shorter than the ESC key?

jmctamney
2008-03-10, 07:17 PM

It can't be programed for a mouse button.

tedg
2008-03-10, 07:22 PM
It can't be programed for a mouse button.
Yea, ^^^^^ What he said.
See this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=75642)

WolffG
2008-03-10, 07:50 PM
That's what I was afraid of.
Begs the question, why doesn't Microsoft want you to do that?

Thanks for your help, though.

jmctamney
2008-03-10, 07:57 PM
Begs the question, why doesn't Microsoft want you to do that?

Because Bill Gates is :veryevil:

nole
2008-03-11, 05:51 AM
Hi there!
You should try one of the Razer mice, they allow to assign any combination of keys or any key to any of their buttons. I have one (Razer Copperhead) and i'm very satisfied with that.

tedg
2008-03-11, 12:33 PM
Hi there!
You should try one of the Razer mice, they allow to assign any combination of keys or any key to any of their buttons. I have one (Razer Copperhead) and i'm very satisfied with that.
Can you assign the "Escape" key to one of the mouse buttons?
Please check it out and reply to this thread.

(I'm guessing you can't, but I may be wrong)

patricks
2008-03-11, 12:43 PM
If the Razer software can map keyboard key functions, I don't see why it couldn't have the Esc key as one of the side buttons on the mouse.

tedg
2008-03-11, 01:09 PM
If the Razer software can map keyboard key functions, I don't see why it couldn't have the Esc key as one of the side buttons on the mouse.
Maybe, maybe not, I have an MS IneliMouse Explorer 4.0, with which you can assign key strokes and combinations like ctrl+c, but will not allow "esc".

That's all I'm saying, just try it and let us know.

Elmo
2008-03-11, 02:48 PM
With a Razer mouse you can specify any command. Even "Esc".

I have a razer diamond and it is the best mouse I've ever used! Just beware though it's sensitivity takes some getting used to.

tedg
2008-03-11, 02:57 PM
With a Razer mouse you can specify any command. Even "Esc".

I have a razer diamond and it is the best mouse I've ever used! Just beware though it's sensitivity takes some getting used to.
Thanks Elmo! (I guess I was wrong :shock: )

Well that's nice to know, that will be useful info for someone out there who may be shopping for a mouse that will do that.
:beer:

bryanl
2008-03-11, 06:29 PM
I have a Microsoft intellimouse Optical USB mouse and I have my left thumb button set to the ESC command. What I had to do was uninstall the updated driver that doesn't allow you to set ESC to a button and install the old 4.12 driver.

j_starko
2008-03-11, 08:54 PM

i'll also point out that there can't be any shorter of a key stroke for something that is already one key.

hehe

patricks
2008-03-12, 03:22 PM
i'll also point out that there can't be any shorter of a key stroke for something that is already one key.

hehe

Yeah but sometimes I might sit at my desk looking at a drawing to the left of my keyboard, and then to do something on the screen I might just reach over with my right hand to move the mouse and click. But then to cancel a command I have to either take my hand off the mouse and hit escape; or right-click, point to Cancel, and then left-click; or I have to move away from my drawing and rotate my chair around so I can hit escape with my left hand. Having another button on the mouse mapped to the Esc key would be easier in some cases.

tomnewsom
2008-03-12, 04:00 PM
Logitech mouse drivers also allow binding of ESC to a button. I have an MX518 with 5 extra buttons (on top of the regular L, R and Wheel) and have them assigned to ESC, ALT-ENTER (properties), ENTER, and TAB. (button #5 is a bit tricky to reach)

Rong Peng
2008-11-01, 08:51 PM
Sorry I didn't read every post, so it it was already answered then forget about my answer. Otherwise "CTRL+[" use that as the keystroke in the mouse settings...

nole
2008-11-02, 07:36 AM
Can you assign the "Escape" key to one of the mouse buttons?
Please check it out and reply to this thread.

(I'm guessing you can't, but I may be wrong)

I just tried and answer is still YES, a can assign Esc key to sidebuttons of my Razer Copperhead.