PDA

View Full Version : Use Revit to design Kids Playset...

scowsert
2008-03-10, 11:26 PM
I'm thinking of using Revit for a personal project both to learn some more about Revit plus to actually use it for construction. I want to design my own Playset for my son. I'm thinking something smaller then this but similar.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4722059

How would be the best way to do this? I'd like to detail out each board so I could use it to measure and cut them plus locate bolt holes. A material take off list would be handy as well. I haven't done that in Revit yet. I have enough skill to not need the detailing component during construction to cut the boards but I'd like to push my Revit knowledge a bit.

How would you do it? Each board as a beam or column or brace? How do you pull off each piece for detailing? Would it have to be an in place family or something?

<shrug> It seems like a fun project to try. Thoughts?

jmctamney
2008-03-11, 03:46 PM
An easy approach would be to just use the dimensional lumber families as beams for the supports than for the "ornamental" objects you could just be sweeps as in place families. I'm not sure how this would translate into schedules but I'm sure it's possible.

scowsert
2008-03-11, 04:00 PM
Any thoughts on detailing out each board? I'd like to make it a live component where if I moved a bolt on my plan it would show the hole at the correct location on my detailed out board.

I'm just trying to see if Revit can do it.

jmctamney
2008-03-11, 04:09 PM
You could create a new beam family using a 2x profile and then add the holes with parameters for location. After that you would have to nest a bolt family inside the beam family, place it and align it with the hole then lock it. Of course this is just thinking out loud, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's possible.

scowsert
2008-03-11, 04:12 PM
You could create a new beam family using a 2x profile and then add the holes with parameters for location. After that you would have to nest a bolt family inside the beam family, place it and align it with the hole then lock it. Of course this is just thinking out loud, I can't say with 100% certainty that it's possible.

Then you would be able to pull that instance member out and place it on a sheet for detailing?

Trying to get my brain wrapped around this. Thanks for the help.

jmctamney
2008-03-11, 04:39 PM
Then you would be able to pull that instance member out and place it on a sheet for detailing?

Trying to get my brain wrapped around this. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure about that one.