PDA

View Full Version : Door Schedule

KGC
2008-03-11, 03:00 PM
So ive been working on getting our Door schedule to look the way we want it to, and im trying to figure out how to do the following.

So what i am trying to do is group similar doors.

Please let me know if this doesnt make sense, or if this isnt possible.

Thanks

mrice.47661
2008-03-11, 04:32 PM
I don't like to be the voice of negativity, but I don't believe there's any way you can have multiple parameters for different elements in the same schedule cell separated by a coma, backslash, etc.

If there was some way of concatenating parameters (I think that's the terminology that Excel uses for such a function) for display purposes, it would be nice - but I don't think it's doable in 2008, nor did it look like it was a focus of the updates in 2009.

KGC
2008-03-11, 06:17 PM
Yeah, that what i am thinking. Is there a way to add text to the schedule, and make it look like it should be there. Maybe use a new heading or something?

Onto another question.

i have a group that is used 6 times in the model (3 floors and 2 to a floor). They are split up to say east and west. But because the doors are in the group, any parameters that i add to the doors will also be copied throughout. Is there a way to exclude the doors and re-add them or remove them completely so that i can add these manually.

let me know if this doesnt make any sense.

Thanks,
Kenton

KGC
2008-03-11, 06:57 PM
I think i am starting to get greedy......

How about this.

A custom parameter that can condense 3 fields into one.

Width - Height - Door Thickness
3'-0" 7'-0" 1 3/4"

Into

3'-0" x 7'-0" x 1 3/4"

tc3dcad60731
2008-03-12, 02:50 AM
I think i am starting to get greedy......

How about this.

3'-0" 7'-0" 1 3/4"

Into

3'-0" x 7'-0" x 1 3/4"
That would have to be the title for the column and you would have to enter that information in. The only way to get two of the three is to use the family type parameter so it will give you the width and ht and dims.

As for the schedule you are trying to achieve..... yes you can get some variation of it. You will have to play around with the total and titles section to get some of it. Other than that I am not a schedule guru and do know that it is not like creating an excel table.

sbrown
2008-03-12, 12:46 PM
You can group those parameter and create a heading called Nominal Panel Size or something if you want it "live" Just highlight the 3 column headers in the schedule, click the group button, then add the label you want. They will still have sep. lines but give the correct info.

I took a diff. approach in a previous office. I named each door type the panel size. So a Sgl Flush Door would not as revit names it be 36"x80" It would be named 3'-0"W x 7'-0"H x 1-3/4"

If it was a double door I would name it (2)3'-0"Wx.....

KGC
2008-03-12, 12:50 PM
Sbrown:

Thats what i was thinking i would have to do. Ill have to keep playing with it and see what i can do. I was just trying to see if anyone else out there had archived what i was trying to do.

Thanks

patricks
2008-03-12, 02:46 PM
I'm guessing that some of this comes back to the way you (or your firm, or both) have always done it, and you're trying to get Revit to do it that way. Sometimes you just have to let go of old ways and do it the "Revit way". ;)

Now from your typical schedule, I'm guessing you're doing this for something with repetitive room units, like an apartment building or hotel. I can understand where grouping the identical doors like that together could certainly be helpful.

What I would probably do is to give each door size and style a different type. Then you could sort the doors by type, and uncheck Itemize Every Instance. You could include totals to give you a quantity for each type. However you would not be able to show every door's number. You'd probably be better off indicating the doors on the plan by a type mark rather than by number, and then have a legend view showing the size, material, etc. for each type. It would also be much easier to just have separate columns for height, width, and thickness. I think the contractors will still be able to figure it out. :)

KGC
2008-03-12, 03:06 PM
Doing it the revit way LOL :)

After i ran into this issue yesterday, something that came up was, whether or no the way we are doing it, is the 'best way' to do a door schedule.

But one of the things i was thinking about while doing this way. Say you have a group, like rooms in a hotel, that are copied throughout the model, flipped, rotated, etc...

If the schedule were based of the tags and doors themselves, then they would be wrongfully represented. Door hardware and frames would not be describe accurately.

How do people fix this?

patricks
2008-03-12, 03:16 PM
Doing it the revit way LOL :)

After i ran into this issue yesterday, something that came up was, whether or no the way we are doing it, is the 'best way' to do a door schedule.

But one of the things i was thinking about while doing this way. Say you have a group, like rooms in a hotel, that are copied throughout the model, flipped, rotated, etc...

If the schedule were based of the tags and doors themselves, then they would be wrongfully represented. Door hardware and frames would not be describe accurately.

How do people fix this?

If you tag a door with a type mark instead of an instance mark number, would that not resolve that situation?

I've actually seen CD sets done that way, with a legend showing an elevation of each door type with the size and all other required information, and no traditional door schedule at all. I guess if you're accurate on the quantity of each type, then that should work fine.

Calvn_Swing
2008-03-12, 03:33 PM
I want to throw a monkey (or elephant) wrench into this discussion. At AU07 the class on advanced Revit API had a tool that allowed you to create a project parameter that would indeed concatenate data from different parameters.

So, some of what you're asking for is indeed possible with the API. Now, will you be able to personally write this? Beats me. I can't that's for sure. But it is possible.

In terms of groups, I have found that they are helpful up to a point in a project. Once you start needing to make instances of a group different from other instances of that group, you pretty much need to blow those groups apart. One other option is to remove those doors from the group and place them in the model. This can be done in 2008. Then you leave the rest of the group alone and intact.

KGC
2008-03-12, 03:53 PM
If you tag a door with a type mark instead of an instance mark number, would that not resolve that situation?

excuse my ignorance, but how do i achieve this. I cant seem to find where i can do this.

patricks
2008-03-12, 04:10 PM
I believe Revit comes with a Door Type annotation family, that will display only the contents of the Type Mark field in the door's type properties.

KGC
2008-03-12, 04:36 PM
Im starting to get confused and lost in what it is that i am trying to achieve.

i have 1 door that is copied multiple times. What i want are parameters that are "type' and not instance so that they are unique for every instance that i have them in the project.

KGC
2008-03-12, 08:50 PM
Ok i know what i want

i want to be able to duplicate the 'mark' parameter.

My door tags show up just fine, but anything else i add to the door as far as parameters go, they dont.

BMcCallum
2008-06-04, 08:17 PM

3'-0" 7'-0" 1 3/4"

Into

3'-0" x 7'-0" x 1 3/4"

You can now do this in Revit 2009.

KGC
2008-06-04, 08:31 PM
I know, its great, i haven't played with it yet, but was at the Autodesk Virtual Event, and am eager to play with the new features.

arqt49
2008-06-05, 12:11 AM
All that maybe great, but in the end, I find myself manually counting doors (and windows) because in the shopping schedules left and right opening is important.
And when they get to a few hundreds, that's very frustrating.
All because of a missing mirrored parameter in the database!

KGC
2008-06-05, 03:29 AM
Revit should still be counting the number of doors correctly. I was having issues with my schedule not showing the way i wanted to. But the count is still accurate.