PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to model parametric families and mass objects?!

samov
2008-03-12, 10:55 AM
Correct way to model parametric families and mass objects?!

Just gone into the whole add parameter for what you want to change...

I was wondering if there are any tips on Hierarchy... i usually find myself with object moving around ...

Plus i don't get how and when to use reference planes and lines... do i lock the sketch to them and add parameters only between the planes or do i add parameters directly on the sides (this is a problem since if i modify the parameter... i don't know which side moves first)

Also the parametric modeling workflow seems broken up i can never seem to have a view of everything at one time. (solidworks style... all workplanes visible in 3d... freely dimension and add between them)

patricks
2008-03-12, 12:23 PM
It's usually best to draw reference planes, dimension your parameters to the planes, and then lock geometry to the reference planes. If you don't do this, you could end up with many pieces of geometry aligned and locked to one another, and you'll never know what controls what. You'll also probably end up with a circular reference error.

samov
2008-03-13, 10:01 AM
Thank you for your reply... i have yet to find a solid tutorial on this... plus revit suffers from not being able to view multiple viewports at the same time in the viewport.

patricks
2008-03-13, 12:41 PM
plus revit suffers from not being able to view multiple viewports at the same time in the viewport.

huh? Do you mean like tiling the view windows? I view multiple different views simultaneously all the time, especially with my dual-monitor setup. Like so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/PatrickGSR94/Misc/RevitLayout.jpg

jeffh
2008-03-13, 01:51 PM
Thank you for your reply... i have yet to find a solid tutorial on this... plus revit suffers from not being able to view multiple viewports at the same time in the viewport.

Open the views you want to use then got to the WindowPulldown menu and select "Tile" This wil tile the windows you have opened and allow you to work from the multiple views.

chris.needham
2008-03-15, 10:33 AM
Or just type WT

Mike Hardy-Brown
2008-03-16, 07:59 AM
Thank you for your reply... i have yet to find a solid tutorial on this... <snip>
Does this help? (see attached)