PDA

View Full Version : Fields - Format area in Sq Metres

kwong
2004-08-31, 11:46 PM
Dear all,
I'm posting this question again because I think I didn't explain myself very well.
I have a room of 5m x 3m which I've put a polyline around, and the area calculation comes out as 15000000 because the polyline is drawn in 5000x3000 units, each unit representing 1mm. Using the field command to generate the area would be great, obviously, if only I can get it to give me an area of 15 instead, and if I can also put in sq m as well I won't have to change areas manually every time the room size is changed. Thanks.
Kin

mjfarrell
2004-09-01, 12:05 AM
You are going to have to format what you desire in a text editor
like Word Pad, and paste those Field code values into an MTEXT
to get the format of the data to be as you desire.

kwong
2004-09-01, 12:47 AM
Michael,
Thanks for your quick reply, but I'm a bit slow on the uptake - would you be able to elaborate on that - like a step by step? I'm very new to this field business. Thanks.
Kin

Mike.Perry
2004-09-01, 06:22 AM
Dear all,
I'm posting this question again because I think I didn't explain myself very well.Hi Kin

In future could I please ask that you don't just create a new thread on a subject that you've already started in another thread. If you have additional information that you would like to add, could I please ask that you add this information to the original thread, instead of starting a new thread just to cover this additional information.

Main reason, people coming in to offer help may not have seen the original thread therefore could be missing out on important information that's already be discussed.

For people coming in to offer help, here is a link to original thread...

Fields - Format area in Metres

Thanks for your understanding, Mike

Forum Moderator

kwong
2004-09-01, 07:35 AM
Will do, Mike.

scott.wilcox
2004-09-24, 11:36 PM
Kin:

It looks like you will have to scale your drawing by a factor of 0.001 to get the area field to display in square metres. I could not find anything that allows the manipulation of field values.

You can add sq. m. as a suffix to the field. Better yet, make the field mtext and you can have "m" with a superscript "2". Very sharp looking.

Scott